Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Magnesium supplement/enterolith risk?

Dr. Getty, It was wonderful to see and hear you in person at the recent Equine Affaire in Pomona, Ca. I have a question about magnesium supplement and the risk of enteroliths caused by too much mag. I am using Horse Tech MMX, but have also used Quiessence. I give 30% alfalfa hay, along with free choice grass hay. Thanks.

Where are you from? California

Re: Magnesium supplement/enterolith risk?

Hello 10Walker!

Yes, it was a pleasure meeting you, as well!

I have had excellent results with MMX, by Horsetech, for gently calming a horse's behavior when it has to do with a borderline nutrient deficiency. One ounce contains 5,000 mg of Magnesium (along with B vitamins).

Quiessence is best used for insulin resistant horses because it provides magnesium (also 5,000 mg per ounce) along with chromium.

So, you'll want to calculate just how much magnesium your horse is getting between the two products. For insulin resistance, I recommend 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight; for behavior, I recommend 5,000 mg per 500 lbs of body weight.

But, having said this, it is always best to evaluate the magnesium level is your hay. If, for example, your horse is consuming 10,000 mg of magnesium from his hay, you can assume that he is absorbing approximately 50% of that magnesium -- so he is getting 5,000 mg of magnesium. So, you can then supplement additional magnesium accordingly.

Too much magnesium, along with high levels of calcium and phosphorus (generally found in diets too high in alfalfa) can lead to enterolith formation. So, never feed more than 50% alfalfa.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

10walker
Dr. Getty, It was wonderful to see and hear you in person at the recent Equine Affaire in Pomona, Ca. I have a question about magnesium supplement and the risk of enteroliths caused by too much mag. I am using Horse Tech MMX, but have also used Quiessence. I give 30% alfalfa hay, along with free choice grass hay. Thanks.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO