Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mare on Supplements..Suggestions

Hello,
I have two situations that I would LOVE to have your advice in...both are for the same mare.

Mares Diet:
2-3 big flakes of grass hay am & pm
turn out 6 days a week in pasture (grows grazing grass in spring/summer/early fall)
1 lb of Nutrena Life Design Compete (fed only to get supplements) Supplemented with Acti Flex and Mega-Cell

Mare is worked 5-6 days a week in dressage training, consisting of 30 min of work per day.

Situation 1 - Mare has a sore back from (now old) saddle, going to be getting a new saddle but in the meantime would like to get her something more for her soreness she has developed. What would you suggest? MSM to add to the Acti Flex? Or Another supplement all together?

Situation 2 - Mare will be bred come April. What would you suggest for her diet/grain before she gets bred (how far out?), and during pregnancy? And with foal at side? Same supplements?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I look forward to your reply.

Where are you from? Eagle, ID

How did you locate this forum? Your webpage is my supplement bible

Re: Mare on Supplements..Suggestions

Hello Asmith,

It sounds like you have some overlaps since you are feeding Mega Cell, plus a commercially fortified feed. You're only feeding one pound of the Purina product, however, so adjust your amount of Mega Cell accordingly, based on the recommended feeding levels of the Purina feed.

I would not suggest adding MSM since Actiflex already contains a large amount of MSM. I would, however, see if additional magnesium may be helpful for muscle soreness. Premium magnesium oxide is an economical way to add just magnesium.

If your mare is sore just after exercising, I like Muscle Fortifier, by Vita Flex.

Regarding your plans to breed her ... the best way I can assist you would be to schedule a consultation appointment. That way, I can go over her entire diet in detail, along with her history, body condition, exercise, environment, etc. to help you ensure a healthy pregnancy.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Asmith
Hello,
I have two situations that I would LOVE to have your advice in...both are for the same mare.

Mares Diet:
2-3 big flakes of grass hay am & pm
turn out 6 days a week in pasture (grows grazing grass in spring/summer/early fall)
1 lb of Nutrena Life Design Compete (fed only to get supplements) Supplemented with Acti Flex and Mega-Cell

Mare is worked 5-6 days a week in dressage training, consisting of 30 min of work per day.

Situation 1 - Mare has a sore back from (now old) saddle, going to be getting a new saddle but in the meantime would like to get her something more for her soreness she has developed. What would you suggest? MSM to add to the Acti Flex? Or Another supplement all together?

Situation 2 - Mare will be bred come April. What would you suggest for her diet/grain before she gets bred (how far out?), and during pregnancy? And with foal at side? Same supplements?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I look forward to your reply.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO