Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kale/Linpro

Hello George,

Thank you -- I'm so glad you enjoyed the seminar. Yes, I plan on having more -- perhaps narrowing it down a bit, since there were so many questions on such a variety of issues.

Kale and cabbage belong to the cruciferous family of vegetables and can interfere with iodine metabolism, resulting in thyroid damage over time. So, it is not a good idea to feed these (along with other cruciferous plants such as broccoli and cauliflower).

Linpro is a nice preparation for horses that are already on fresh pasture. However, to fill in the gaps that exist in hay, it is best to feed a more comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement. I like Glanzen Complete because it is flaxseed meal based. Or you can feed Nutra Flax (just flaxseed meal) plus another supplement such as High Point or Mega Cell.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

George
Hello Dr Getty

First I want to thank you for doing the TeleSeminar on Supplements!!! Hope you will have more!!! In your book you have Kale and Cabbage listed as vegetables NOT to feed your Horse, My horse loves kale and I have been feeding it to him before I read your book. I have stopped. Im just wondering why is kale bad for horses? Also, I use Linpro as a supplement. What do you think of this supplement? Is there something else you would recommend to use? Thank You!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Is Glanzen Complete a Pellet or powder?

Where are you from? New Hampshire

How did you locate this forum? The book "Feed your horse like a horse"

Hello George,

Glanzen Complete is flaxseed meal with added vitamins and minerals. It is not a pellet, but not as fine as a powder.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

George
Is Glanzen Complete a Pellet or powder?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO