Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gas colic

Hi, I have a 17 year old mare that is prone to gas colic. She colics mainly in the spring and summer when she is on grass pastures. last summer she colic at least twice a month. They were mild colics. Due to a lameness she is unable to be ridden or exercise. she is feed beet pulp, glanzen lite, ration plus, and free choice hay. Is there anything else I could give her to prevent gas build up. She does have a hay belly. Thank you for all the great information you give us.

Where are you from? illinois

How did you locate this forum? website

Re: gas colic

Hi Sue,

A few suggestions...
The best thing to do would be to have your hay analyzed. It may be too high in indigestible fiber.

And second, make sure there is no mold in her hay -- it's not always black -- it can be a white dust. This is a significant source of colic.

Finally, if her teeth haven't been floated in a while, this can cause her to swallow large amounts of pasture without adequately chewing it.

Keep me posted. Also give her 2 Tablespoons of Ration plus per day as you transition her to pasture this spring.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

sue
Hi, I have a 17 year old mare that is prone to gas colic. She colics mainly in the spring and summer when she is on grass pastures. last summer she colic at least twice a month. They were mild colics. Due to a lameness she is unable to be ridden or exercise. she is feed beet pulp, glanzen lite, ration plus, and free choice hay. Is there anything else I could give her to prevent gas build up. She does have a hay belly. Thank you for all the great information you give us.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO