Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lucerne Farms Forage - Gold

Hi Kelly,

If this chopped timothy hay product contains molasses (which many chopped hay products do), it would not be appropriate for an insulin resistant horse. If is does not contain any molasses, I would prefer the timothy/alfalfa mix because of the protein quality that these two types of hay would produce (as long as it doesn't contain more than 30% alfalfa). I doubt the alfalfa is interfering with his behavior, so try the sample of the T/A mixture, and let me know how it affects him.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

kellie kirby
This weekend, I spoke with folks from Lucerne Farms on their chopped Timothy hay, Gold. It has 9% protien and 9.4 NSC. What are the benefits and drawbacks replacing the straight alfalfa cubes (Magic-IR pony) with this? Sometimes he is a little jumpy - attributing to alfalfa? All else is going good and he has lost ALL puffiness above his eyes-that is the first time in the 5 years I have had him. He is still not getting all the beet pulp he should; just won't eat it.
I have a 5lb sample of their alfalfa/timothy mix. I add a handful to my normal horses with their beet pulp and supplements.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO