Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Peanut Butter Question

I am looking for a "soft" treat to use to administer medication to my horses with IR/EMS. I have been using a sliver of apple but am looking for something with a slightly lower glycemic index and starch content. I was thinking of using soaked Alfalfa Pellets with plain organic (no sugar added) Peanut Butter as a binder. Is peanut butter safe in small quantities? Is there a home made low carb recipe for treats?

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? Heard from Talk at Horse Expo.

Re: Peanut Butter Question

Hi Jody,

I would first like to recommend Skode's Horse Treats -- they are all very, very low in %NSC (sugars and starch) and are perfect for the insulin resistant horse.

To make something on your own, your idea of moistened alfalfa with some peanut butter, is fine. Peanuts (roasted, never raw) are fine for horses. Choose a natural peanut butter than doesn't have added sugar or any partially hydrogenated oils.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jody
I am looking for a "soft" treat to use to administer medication to my horses with IR/EMS. I have been using a sliver of apple but am looking for something with a slightly lower glycemic index and starch content. I was thinking of using soaked Alfalfa Pellets with plain organic (no sugar added) Peanut Butter as a binder. Is peanut butter safe in small quantities? Is there a home made low carb recipe for treats?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO