Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Photosensitivity

Hello Taunya,

Photosensitivity is more often caused by liver damage induced by consuming toxic plants over a period of time, rather than an allergy to alfalfa. It is best to have blood tests to assess any possible liver damage.

As I explain on page 286 of my book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse, alfalfa is often blamed for photosensitivity. But if the liver is damaged, it is unable to remove the metabolite called phylloerythrin, that the hindgut microbes produce from chlorophyll (green pigment found in alfalfa and grasses). This results in phylloerythrin travelling to the skin's surface and reacting with light.

So, you could try reducing alfalfa, but I strongly recommend having his liver tested first.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Taunya Claybrook
Several years ago my horse became so photosensitive that I had to keep him in the barn for 3 months through the summer while his pink skin literally came off. I was told not to feed him alfalfa anymore. A couple of years ago he started slight symptoms of photosens. again. This time we believe it was the pasture grass he was eating. Again, back in the barn. Anyway, I've been feeding bermuda, timothy, forage, oat hay, depending on what I can get. Was it the alfalfa? Can I reintroduce it to him on your recommended 30% basis as with the other horses?
Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO