Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: equine metabolic horses

Wow - Thank-You Dr. Getty,
1 - How much on the Mag. & Chron. Supplements?

2- How do you feel about Bentonite Clay vs. D/E?
OR The combination of the two?

I know the Psyllum works well for some horses but others it seems to clog up...without the added probiotics they say? It is very expensive and I see many vets adding the d/e now into their formulas so I thought I was on the right track there.

I have horses that I know would have coliced (living in FL. without adding the D/E into their feed daily - I used to breed and raise horses and have gone threw colic on more than one occassion with so many horses. Some have been fatal, I have gone the surgery route also which I would never do again.

For the last 6 years - I can say I have not had the 1st bout (knock on wood) but the routines are the same (don't breed anymore) and they are still eating behind one another (bottom feeders) in the pastures. It is the only thing I can attribute it to. I do keep a 2 bottles of: Equine Colic Relief America on the emergency shelf as a precautionary measure. But, have only had to give it to neighbor's horses when they coliced and they don't use D/E.

3- I do have Chia seeds - how much per day?

4- If I give the Chia seeds do I still incorporate the (flaxseed meal based supplements- omega 3 fatty acids or would they consure that with the Chia Seeds?

5- Are you saying to use the Chia insteasd of D/E to prevent colic?

6- About the APF - which he has been on forever...
I tried to take him off of it one time and obviously is body needs it now. Is there Chasteberry or something that can be used in place of that is similar and provide the same effects?

I will change his feed immediately, I would like to get them all off of feed and just go to forage only. 7- Is that something you would recommed? Are there supplement's or a vitamin pack to offer in place of the feed given?

I will take all of your suggestions and put them to work for Final...and the other horses.
I Thank-You for all your help!!
Pam

Where are you from? FL

How did you locate this forum? follow Dr.Getty

Re: equine metabolic horses

Hi Pam,

I've answered your questions below each one...

pam
Wow - Thank-You Dr. Getty,
1 - How much on the Mag. & Chron. Supplements?
There are several sizes of each type, so I suggest looking at the websites:

Quiessence: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/quiessence.htm

CarbX: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/carbx.htm

2- How do you feel about Bentonite Clay vs. D/E?
OR The combination of the two?
To my knowledge, bentonite clay is used as a buffer to raise the pH of the hindgut and therefore, reduce cecal acidosis in horses. As far as a colic preventive, it would do so by preventing the destruction of the bacterial microbes living in the cecum and large colon. But, it also can neutralize stomach acid, which has problems of its own (depressed immune function, inefficient protein digestion).

I know the Psyllum works well for some horses but others it seems to clog up...without the added probiotics they say? It is very expensive and I see many vets adding the d/e now into their formulas so I thought I was on the right track there.

I have horses that I know would have coliced (living in FL. without adding the D/E into their feed daily - I used to breed and raise horses and have gone threw colic on more than one occassion with so many horses. Some have been fatal, I have gone the surgery route also which I would never do again.

For the last 6 years - I can say I have not had the 1st bout (knock on wood) but the routines are the same (don't breed anymore) and they are still eating behind one another (bottom feeders) in the pastures. It is the only thing I can attribute it to. I do keep a 2 bottles of: Equine Colic Relief America on the emergency shelf as a precautionary measure. But, have only had to give it to neighbor's horses when they coliced and they don't use D/E.

I can certainly understand your concern, having been through tragic cases of colic -- so I am reluctant to have you change if what you're doing is working. But bottom line -- horses with a good quality hay that is not too high in indigestible fiber, offered free choice, along with eating off the ground (like you're doing), exercise, low starch diet, water, and a source of soluble fiber (such as psyllium or Chia seeds) will he protect horses from colic.

3- I do have Chia seeds - how much per day?

I recommend 1/2 cup per 400 lbs of body weight.

4- If I give the Chia seeds do I still incorporate the (flaxseed meal based supplements- omega 3 fatty acids or would they consure that with the Chia Seeds?

No flaxseed would be unnecessary since Chia is also very high in omega 3 fatty acids.

5- Are you saying to use the Chia insteasd of D/E to prevent colic?

Yes, along with the other dietary things I mentioned. Free choice grass hay is probably the most significant because an empty stomach can lead to hind gut microbial destruction (from the acid that is continuously produced). It also keeps the motility up since the gastrointestinal tract is made of muscles and if empty, torsion and intusseptions can occur.

6- About the APF - which he has been on forever...
I tried to take him off of it one time and obviously is body needs it now. Is there Chasteberry or something that can be used in place of that is similar and provide the same effects?

Yes -- Balance EQ is excellent: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/cushalleve.htm

I will change his feed immediately, I would like to get them all off of feed and just go to forage only. 7- Is that something you would recommed? Are there supplement's or a vitamin pack to offer in place of the feed given?

Forage, plus Chia, plus High Point is an excellent route: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/highpointgrass.htm

I will take all of your suggestions and put them to work for Final...and the other horses.
I Thank-You for all your help!!
Pam

I believe you should be on the right track with these changes and suggestions. But, if you need more detail, the best way I can help you would be to set up a private phone consultation. Here is the link for more info: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/talktodrgetty.htm

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO