Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding free choice and self regulating

I use three very large hay nets made of cargo netting (each can hold a bale) with holes about 1.5 inches big. My three LOVE them. I am also going to get some smaller ones to use around the track, just to keep them from camping at the larger nets. I LOVE my hay nets and thoroughly recommend them. However, Dr. Getty is right - they should never be empty. Occasionally one of mine will have hay in it they like better and that net will be eaten all up, but the other two will still have hay in them. I have done 24/7 hay since I have owned horses (3 yrs now) and they are so calm and relaxed (except when they choose to play). I waste less hay (doesn't blow away or get stepped all over) Also, I find that the horses maintain their weight, or in the case of my really old guy, actually keep weight ON a little better. I believe when Summit (the old fellow) has to work at eating and s l o w s down, he gets better nutrition and better digestion (same thing). I would never feed my horses any other way now. :o)

Where are you from? New York

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty told me.

YES!!!I know what you mean about them being calmer. I feel guilty I had not thought of this before....especially since we do not have big pastures here (like when I was growing up in the Midwest)and the horses are kept in a dry corral. For the good of the horses, I hope this method really catches on.

My guys also live on a Paddock Paradise (track) system. I have found that this really improves how much they move around. It can be built on very small or really large areas and either way helps the horses to move a whole lot more. Check this web site out for more info...http://successful-natural-horsecare.com/natural-living/paddock-paradise-grazing/

Where are you from? New York

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty told me.

Hi Jane and Alice,

It is so wonderful to have you both discuss the benefits of allowing horses to simply be horses -- they are innately designed to graze all of the time. Everyone has a different set up so it takes some creativity and the Paddock Paradise is an excellent choice. It allows for movement in a relatively small space.

Thank you and keep spreading the concept to others. It is really not at all new -- it's the way horses have lived for millions of years.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jane Ames
My guys also live on a Paddock Paradise (track) system. I have found that this really improves how much they move around. It can be built on very small or really large areas and either way helps the horses to move a whole lot more. Check this web site out for more info...http://successful-natural-horsecare.com/natural-living/paddock-paradise-grazing/

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO