Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purina Strategy Healthy Choice Vs. Horsetech AZ Copper Complete

Thanks for a great book; I received it over the holidays as a gift. It is invaluable and I refer to it often. I recommend it to many!

I'm in Arizona and have a 1,100 Pound TB mare that I adopted a year ago. She's on Bermuda pasture 24/7. She dropped weight over the winter, so much that I was concerned and in addition to Bermuda hay, she get's 20% max (3 pnds) alfalfa pellets, 3 pounds Purina Strategy Healthy Choice. 6 oz HorseTech Nutraflax. She's gaining the weight back, especially now the Bermudas growing again.

My question...
1. Once her weight is back up, should I replace the Purina Strategy Healthy Choice with Horetech's custom product, "AZ Copper Complete." Or, continue to use the Purina Strategy to fill in any gaps. I wanted to know if have experience with that product.

2. She has a history of awful Sweet Itch on her mid-line, but also limited care prior to last year. So, it could be from multiple factors. The 6oz flax - Is that too much now the pasture is coming back?

3. She's also on 1TBL of Spirulina. Is that too little for a horse with skin allergies?

Thanks so much and for all you do! Keep writing ;)

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Google

Re: Purina Strategy Healthy Choice Vs. Horsetech AZ Copper Complete

Hi Sarah,

I'm delighted to hear that you're enjoying my book. Thank you! I've answered your questions below...

Sarah J
Thanks for a great book; I received it over the holidays as a gift. It is invaluable and I refer to it often. I recommend it to many!

I'm in Arizona and have a 1,100 Pound TB mare that I adopted a year ago. She's on Bermuda pasture 24/7. She dropped weight over the winter, so much that I was concerned and in addition to Bermuda hay, she get's 20% max (3 pnds) alfalfa pellets, 3 pounds Purina Strategy Healthy Choice. 6 oz HorseTech Nutraflax. She's gaining the weight back, especially now the Bermudas growing again.

My question...
1. Once her weight is back up, should I replace the Purina Strategy Healthy Choice with Horetech's custom product, "AZ Copper Complete." Or, continue to use the Purina Strategy to fill in any gaps. I wanted to know if have experience with that product.

I like the AZ Copper Complete for Bermuda grass grown in AZ but it truly is better to have your hay analyzed first. If you have at least two month's worth, go ahead and send a sample in to Equi-Analytical Labs and get the "Equi-Tech" test along with the Selenium test.

2. She has a history of awful Sweet Itch on her mid-line, but also limited care prior to last year. So, it could be from multiple factors. The 6oz flax - Is that too much now the pasture is coming back?

Immune function is often the issue, but I have heard good things about Equine Medical's insect relief products: https://equinemedsurg.com/store

3. She's also on 1TBL of Spirulina. Is that too little for a horse with skin allergies?

I believe so -- you'll want to feed 20 grams per day -- that's approximately 4 teaspoons.

Thanks so much and for all you do! Keep writing

Glad to help!

Best wishes,
Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO