Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hydroponic Pod Growing

Hello again, Marina, and my readers,

I wish to retract my previous comment about the EnerG Feeding system. The product I mentioned in my previous post was not EnerG. Instead it was barley sprouts as the horse's predominant source of forage. This concerned me because of the high NSC associated with this product, and if I come across its name, I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, the EnerG sprouts are a nutritious source of vitamins and minerals for horses. I apologize for any confusion or offense my comment may have caused.

Best wishes,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty
Hi Marina,

I believe I saw this at the Equine Affaire in Pomona, CA and was appalled to discover that the Non-structural Carbohydrate level (sugars and starches) was more than 35%!! This is not safe to feed as a forage source -- it is asking for colic and laminitis. It would be similar to feeding oats, free choice.

So, if this is the case (which I'm almost certain it is), I would avoid it. If any of my readers knows the exact %NSC level of this product, please let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Marina
My friends barn manager is seriously considering switching to this new system - EnerG Hydropod technology.
Currently they feed a mixture of grass and oat hay feed twice a day. I don't like the sound of this new technology especially as it's only had a 90 day trial. Do you know of this product and can you advise as to whether it is any good? Thanks,

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO