Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HELP! difference in opinion regarding weight loss....

Hello Jane,

I think you already know what I'm going to say. The stress that this pony is experiencing is keeping him overweight. Stress produces cortisol; cortisol causes insulin to rise; and insulin elevation tells the body to hold on to fat.

He is a "bully" because he is in physical pain -- yes, PAIN -- his stomach produces acid continuously, not just when there is food inside (like it does with our stomachs). Consequently, an empty stomach is filled with hydrochloric acid -- an acid so strong, that it would burn a hole in your skin if you were to spill some on yourself.

Chewing from consistent grazing (which is what horses were meant to do), produces saliva, a natural antacid. Left with nothing to chew, a horse (pony) will do anything he can to relieve his physical discomfort, as well as his mental stress (since this goes against his instincts to continuously graze all day and night).

Stalling is also very stressful and will cause an ulcer in most cases when a horse is stalled after being used to complete turnout.

And finally, by restricting hay, the horse interprets this as "survival mode" -- conserving every last bit of body fat. So, the purpose is defeated -- the horse stays fat.

Please tell the other volunteer that though her intentions are good, she is creating more of a problem.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jane Ames
Here is the situation...I am a volunteer/board member for a therapeutic riding program and we have a Haflinger pony who is a tad bit heavy. He has a cresty neck, but is okay (I think) in his wither and bum areas. He tends to be on the nervous side - jumping at things and getting spooked fairly easily. He was never stalled until he came to this barn and is an unhappy stalled horse - very anxious to get out in the mornings.

The discussion about how to get him to loose weight is a controversial one b/c I am suggesting one way and the barn owner (also a volunteer) is suggesting another. Currently he lives indoors/outdoors with 4 other horses - outside during the day and stalled at night (up to 15 hrs) Unless it's nice out, then they are all left outside. He tends to be food greedy - pushing the other horses away from hay (especially when the hay is almost gone). BTW - this pony was at the bottom of the herd pecking order where he came from and is the boss here. The herd gets fed a bale & 1/2 (approx.) when they are put outside in the am. They each get 2-3 flakes of hay when they are stalled overnight.

So now we come to the situation regarding the need to help this pony loose some weight. The barn owner wants to separate him from the herd (b/c "he's a bully anyway") and feed him less (b/c I am "already feeding them too much as it is"). On the other hand, I want to up the amount of hay given (so they never run out of it)- but put it in slow feeder hay nets that are spread out around the pasture (they are all familiar with SFHN and are fine with them as they each have one in their stall and one outside). I also want to add magnesium (Quiessence)to his diet. I do not feel that separating him will help at all - he would be miserable - thus raising his stress level.

So, I guess I need your professional input here, although I'm pretty sure I know what you will say. But I told the director I would ask for your feedback. I would love your opinion on this situation. )

God bless,
Jane

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO