Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New research for Psyllium stabilizing insulin and glucose levels

Dr. Getty, I read an abstract of a paper about Psyllium and its effect on insulin and glucose levels. It sounded exciting but I only had access to the abstract. I started feeding Psyllium, figuring no harm could be done. Have you read the paper?
Thanks,
Debbie Trimble

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? stumbleupon

Re: New research for Psyllium stabilizing insulin and glucose levels

Hello Debbie,

Yes, the current April 2011 issue of the Journal of Equine Veterinary Science has a research article on the beneficial effect of psyllium on blood glucose levels and hence, lowered insulin levels.

This is excellent news for horse owners with insulin resistant horses. The effect was show to be beneficial with as little as 90 grams of psyllium per day. That's equivalent to 1/5 of a pound, or approximately 3 ounces by weight.

Thanks for bringing this up!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Debbie Trimble
Dr. Getty, I read an abstract of a paper about Psyllium and its effect on insulin and glucose levels. It sounded exciting but I only had access to the abstract. I started feeding Psyllium, figuring no harm could be done. Have you read the paper?
Thanks,
Debbie Trimble

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO