Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glazen Complete/Lite and Chia

Hello Nancy,

Glanzen Complete is an excellent choice. The dosing would be 1/2 cup per 400 lbs of body weight, not to exceed 1 1/2 cups per day.

1/2 cup is equivalent to 8 level Tablespoons, so the dosing, figured in Tablespoons, would be 1 level Tablespoon per 50 lbs of body weight. (or 1/2 cup per 600 lbs of body weight).

The scoop provided with both of these products is 1/2 cup (4 fluid ounces in volume).

Glanzen Lite Complete is also an option -- it is lower in fat and therefore, more appropriate for an overweight horse. The dosing there would be 1 level Tablespoon per 75 lbs of body weight.

You would not give Chia seeds in addition to Glanzen Complete or Glanzen Lite Complete since both of these are flaxseed meal based. Chia seeds is a source of omega 3s, but you would be overdoing them if you were to feed Chia plus flax.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author or Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Nancy
I started using the Glazen Complete a few weeks ago for my three horses (a Percheron and two minis). I am only giving the minis a heaping tablespoon of the Glazen Complete and would like to know how much I should be giving them. Both have hoof/joint issues (one mini is a dwarf, the other had foundered in all four feet and is insulin resistant). I do not want them to put on too much weight and was wondering if I should switch all to the Glazen Lite. I have also been giving all three of my horses Chia seeds and wanted to know if it was necessary to continue doing so now that they are on the Glazen. Thank you!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO