Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse eating her own poop....

Hi Dr. Getty,
I have a friend who called me today and asked me why her mare is eating her own poop.... yuck! I told her I would write and ask you (she doesn't have a computer.) I figured it must be some kind of mineral deficiency but I'm not the expert
I didn't see this topic when I searched the forum & thought maybe it would be a good one to have up here.
Thanks for your time and expertise!

Where are you from? Texas

Re: horse eating her own poop....

Hi Lynette,

It could be due to a mineral deficiency. But most of the cases that I encounter are due to having an empty stomach. Horses' stomachs release acid continuously, even when empty (not like our own that secrete acid only when we eat). Therefore, horses need to chew to produce saliva (a natural antacid). So, if they do not have hay or grass 24/7 (which they should), they will chew on whatever they can -- trees, fences, railings, and manure.

So the first thing to ask your friend is whether or not her horse has hay or grass 24/7. If the answer is no -- the fix is easy. And if her horse is overweight, and she's restricting forage because of that, she is keeping her horse fat because of the hormonal response caused by the stress of an empty stomach (both physical pain and mental stress). Give the mare all the hay she wants -- more than she could possibly eat -- and allow her to self-regulate her intake. She'll do this once she sees that the hay supply doesn't run out, not even for 10 minutes.

If the horse has hay 24/7, then be sure that she is getting a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that is flaxseed meal based -- such as Glanzen Complete -- since hay is missing many nutrients that fresh grass once had.

Keep me posted!

Best wishes,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lynette
Hi Dr. Getty,
I have a friend who called me today and asked me why her mare is eating her own poop.... yuck! I told her I would write and ask you (she doesn't have a computer.) I figured it must be some kind of mineral deficiency but I'm not the expert
I didn't see this topic when I searched the forum & thought maybe it would be a good one to have up here.
Thanks for your time and expertise!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hello from Anne: just one teeny comment; which I think I read on Dr. Getty's website which is:

The other cause of "equine (or any critter) eating poops is: Lack of Fiber...Fiber is Essential to an Equine and there are two types of Fiber; I would do a little reasearch on best type of Edible Fiber for Equines; I know Apple Pectin is "an edible Fiber...

The Fiber enables the digestive tract to function well; examples are Rice Bran; Flax Seeds; Chia seeds;

be sure to buy these forumulated for Equine; my 2c !

Where are you from? Conn.

How did you locate this forum? web

I know she is feeding rice bran.... how much I'm not sure. She also said she's feeding minerals (don't know what kind) I told her about feeding hay 24/7... she said she can't afford to feed hay 24/7 but is going to be adding more hay to her mare's diet. I was glad to hear that... It's so hard to change the deeply entrenched "old ways" of peoples feeding thoughts. She also feeds sweet feed, so adding more hay is a step in the right direction.

Hello Lynette,

I would get rid of the sweet feed, and feed more hay along with a vitamin/mineral supplement, preferably one that is flax based such as Glanzen Complete. Add water, and salt, and you're all set!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Lynette
I know she is feeding rice bran.... how much I'm not sure. She also said she's feeding minerals (don't know what kind) I told her about feeding hay 24/7... she said she can't afford to feed hay 24/7 but is going to be adding more hay to her mare's diet. I was glad to hear that... It's so hard to change the deeply entrenched "old ways" of peoples feeding thoughts. She also feeds sweet feed, so adding more hay is a step in the right direction.

Hello Anne,

Yes, lack of fiber from forage (hay and/or pasture) -- that's true.

Dr. Getty

Anne
Hello from Anne: just one teeny comment; which I think I read on Dr. Getty's website which is:

The other cause of "equine (or any critter) eating poops is: Lack of Fiber...Fiber is Essential to an Equine and there are two types of Fiber; I would do a little reasearch on best type of Edible Fiber for Equines; I know Apple Pectin is "an edible Fiber...

The Fiber enables the digestive tract to function well; examples are Rice Bran; Flax Seeds; Chia seeds;

be sure to buy these forumulated for Equine; my 2c !