Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Whole-food supplements

Hi Susan,

Ok -- here's the list of ingredients... let's take a look...

Ingredients: Certified Organic Kelp, Certified Organic Flax Seed, Certified Organic Rolled Oats, Certified Organic Alfalfa Leaf, Organic Bee Pollen, Vitamin C, Certified Organic Garlic, Organic Lecithin, Certified Organic Spirulina, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Amylase, Protease, Protease II, Protease III, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase, Maltase, Sucrase, Bromelain, Fish Oil, Rosemary, Sage, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin E, Zinc.

The first thing on the list is present in the highest concentration and it's kelp. That means it's mostly salt and the exact amount of iodine in this kelp preparation is not indicated, which makes me uneasy.

Then you have flax, which is fine.

Then, there's oats, which I'm not always in favor of, if a horse has an obesity issue, is cushingoid, is getting old, or has suffered from laminitis.

Then there's garlic. Garlic is toxic to horses, leading to Heinz body anemia over time.

The rest are herbs, enzymes, fish oil, and probiotics.

So, all in all, I don't care for it. Plus it doesn't tell me the exact amount of each nutrient so it's impossible to evaluate.

A supplement that lists vitamins and minerals and uses their chemical names is not a bad thing. The names may not be as recognizable but that doesn't make them toxic or harmful. Vitamin E, for example -- it's chemically known as d-alpha tocopherol. Vitamin C for example, is ascorbic acid. Vitamin D -- ergocalciferol. These vitamins are just as potent and just as natural as when they're listed with their common names.

I hope this provides a little insight into the focus of this product.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Susan
I currently feed my horse Megacell. I've wondered about the benefits of switching to a whole-food supplement for his vitamins/mineral supplementation.

I happened to find this product sold by someone right here in my state, and wondered your thoughts on whole-food supplements in general, and in particular, your thoughts on this product:
http://www.thewholisticpet.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=559&ParentCat=69

Thanks, Dr. Getty!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you very much, Dr. Getty!

Where are you from? New Hampshire

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty

Hi Susan,

Always glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Susan
Thank you very much, Dr. Getty!