Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Soybean meal/flax revisited

Hello Lisa,

Soybean meal is not as high in calcium as alfalfa, even though it is a legume. It generally contains approximately .30% calcium, comparied to alfalfa with approximately 1.20% calcium.

Soybean meal also has more phosphorus than calcium, like flaxseed meal does.

So, a calcium carbonate supplement may be appropriate, depending on the amount of calcium in your grass or hay.

If you feed some alfalfa hay, cubes, or pellets, you won't need to add calcium. And you may not need to add soybean meal, either, since the protein content would be sufficient, as well.

I wish I could give you a more specific answer, but I'm not able to without evaluating your horse's entire diet. I would be delighted to help you with this by setting up a personal phone consultation.

But in the meantime, have your hay and/or grass analyzed by sending in a sample to Equi-Analytical Labs -- www.equi-analytical.com and see if your pasture or hay has at least 3 times more calcium than phosphorus. Then you should be ok with a small amount of soy and flax.

All the best,

Dr. Getty [ }
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lisa Andersen
If I mix heat processed soybean meal with my local feed store's non-stabilized no-Calcium-added ground flaxseed meal at at a 1:1 ratio do I need to add a Calcium supplement to balance it out or does soybean meal have calcium like the other big-time legume, Alfalfa? What formulation/amount of Calcium would I use?

Trying to do right for a cross-section of horses on grass pasture and a limited budget! TIA

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO