Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MMX

Hi Heather,
I am sure you will be pleased with the results as I am. It is pretty hard to say when I noticed results because it isn't like he is sedated or slow, he very simply can process something new or fearful in a much calmer way. He had a very traumatic past, and as I see that seems to be a trendy thing to claim these days, however his was extreme, much of which I witnessed and tried to stop and............. SO, his fears were justified and understandable. But, even with all the natural and gentle, patient horsemanship training I have used on him for 6 years he still seemed too "suspicious" for me. That is the most accurate word and describes him better than 'spooky' or 'jumpy' or 'nervous'. So, it was hard to notice results until last week when all this HUGE and extremely LOUD machinery was going back and forth through my 6 acre pasture to adjacent properties to replace power poles did the "results" become undeniable. He watched and listened and looked at me. He never showed the 'whites of his eyes'. He never bolted (a trademark of his). He was curious instead of suspicious. The "results" seem very subtle and anyone but me would never know a thing was happening, but to me it made me cry. If his world is less scary now, what better gift could Dr.Getty have offered us. This morning a helicopter hovered very low over the barn and he continued to eat his hay!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Sidebar: If anyone has any questions as to 'easements' on their property, go to her guest book, find me and write me privately. I have learned A TON !!

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA--God's Country

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Hello Cristine and Heather,

MMX is very effective in horses that have borderline magnesium and B vitamin deficiencies. Since many, if not most, horses do not get enough magnesium, I have found MMX to be very helpful. It is calming from a nutritional perspective, and does not produce a drugged effect. So, since it has worked so well with your horses, it tells me that they had a borderline deficieny in these nutrients. And you've addressed the problem, helping their nervous systems function normally.

Generally the results occur within 2 to 3 weeks but every horse is different. Some respond sooner than that, and others take a bit longer.

MMX is made by Horsetech and I am delighted to recommend it.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I too tried MMX at Dr. Getty's recommendation for my mare who was becoming cranky. I haven't seen much difference in my mare but saw a considerable change in my gelding's anxiousness. He is much calmer now. He settles better at new places and his focus for training has increased. Is it all the MMX, not sure, but I recommend trying it to lots of people.

Where are you from? Cool, CA

How did you locate this forum? Can't remember

Is there REALLY a town called "Cool California"?? How great is that. Sam and I just had a break-through that I believe was partly (largely?) due to MMX. He has had a very bad habit of charging through the front barn door as he goes through the barn from his corral out into the large barnyard where Simon (and grass and his favorite places to roll) is. I have been working very hard at him walking with good manners through the barn and out into the barnyard. If I lead him on a lead, he is great. But, UNTIL TODAY, without a lead he would still tend to move with less manners than I wanted. This morning I just had one finger under his jaw as we walked quietly through the barn and stopped at the open door, and continued outside with only my one finger under his jaw. Believe me when I say, that was a major change and I believe it was more or less because he has been on MMX for a month. THANK YOU DR. GETTY !!!!!!

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA.

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Hello Sheila,

When MMX works, it indicates that the problem was a borderline deficiency in magnesium. So, in the case of your gelding, you determined the problem. When it doesn't work, as in the case of your mare, the behavioral problem is not magnesium-related. But, it is always best to start with a magnesium supplement (the B vitamins in MMX are also helpful) since much of the time behavior problems are due to not enough of this mineral.

Your mare's issue could be hormonally related. If you think that may be the issue, consider a preparation called Levelor.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sheila
I too tried MMX at Dr. Getty's recommendation for my mare who was becoming cranky. I haven't seen much difference in my mare but saw a considerable change in my gelding's anxiousness. He is much calmer now. He settles better at new places and his focus for training has increased. Is it all the MMX, not sure, but I recommend trying it to lots of people.

Hello Cristine,

That is great to hear!

Glad to help,

Dr. Getty

Cristine Cameron
Is there REALLY a town called "Cool California"?? How great is that. Sam and I just had a break-through that I believe was partly (largely?) due to MMX. He has had a very bad habit of charging through the front barn door as he goes through the barn from his corral out into the large barnyard where Simon (and grass and his favorite places to roll) is. I have been working very hard at him walking with good manners through the barn and out into the barnyard. If I lead him on a lead, he is great. But, UNTIL TODAY, without a lead he would still tend to move with less manners than I wanted. This morning I just had one finger under his jaw as we walked quietly through the barn and stopped at the open door, and continued outside with only my one finger under his jaw. Believe me when I say, that was a major change and I believe it was more or less because he has been on MMX for a month. THANK YOU DR. GETTY !!!!!!