Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Shiny "blue-black" VS plain old black

Dr. Getty, Now that I am such a believer, I have a less health-threatening, mere vanity question. I have noticed just since last fall that my 30 year old solid black TWH appears much darker black than my B&W pinto TWH. One is blue-black like Veronica's hair in the "Archie" comic books but Sam is just plain B&W. There are 100s of supplements for color on the market but I have never used any. Sam's coat is shiny and soft. Am I vain or can color be affected by supplements as the ads claim?

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA--God's Country

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Re: Shiny "blue-black" VS plain old black

Hi Cristine,

Hair coat color can be affected by nutritional factors, but can also be due to exposure to sunlight. If your horse is getting a flaxseed meal based, vitamin/mineral supplement that fills in the all the gaps, then you don't need to be concerned.

But, copper and zinc need to be balanced, as well as adequate quality protein. There is a supplement called Blackenall that contains paprika. Many folks enjoy its effect on hair color.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Cristine Cameron
Dr. Getty, Now that I am such a believer, I have a less health-threatening, mere vanity question. I have noticed just since last fall that my 30 year old solid black TWH appears much darker black than my B&W pinto TWH. One is blue-black like Veronica's hair in the "Archie" comic books but Sam is just plain B&W. There are 100s of supplements for color on the market but I have never used any. Sam's coat is shiny and soft. Am I vain or can color be affected by supplements as the ads claim?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO