Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: horse eating her own poop....

Hello Lynette,

I would get rid of the sweet feed, and feed more hay along with a vitamin/mineral supplement, preferably one that is flax based such as Glanzen Complete. Add water, and salt, and you're all set!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Lynette
I know she is feeding rice bran.... how much I'm not sure. She also said she's feeding minerals (don't know what kind) I told her about feeding hay 24/7... she said she can't afford to feed hay 24/7 but is going to be adding more hay to her mare's diet. I was glad to hear that... It's so hard to change the deeply entrenched "old ways" of peoples feeding thoughts. She also feeds sweet feed, so adding more hay is a step in the right direction.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: horse eating her own poop....

Hello Anne,

Yes, lack of fiber from forage (hay and/or pasture) -- that's true.

Dr. Getty

Anne
Hello from Anne: just one teeny comment; which I think I read on Dr. Getty's website which is:

The other cause of "equine (or any critter) eating poops is: Lack of Fiber...Fiber is Essential to an Equine and there are two types of Fiber; I would do a little reasearch on best type of Edible Fiber for Equines; I know Apple Pectin is "an edible Fiber...

The Fiber enables the digestive tract to function well; examples are Rice Bran; Flax Seeds; Chia seeds;

be sure to buy these forumulated for Equine; my 2c !

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO