Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
13 yr. old IR QH mare

Hello Dr. Getty.
I am again looking for your input on my mare. I have been feeding the Glanzen Lite Complete and Quiescence since our last correspondence. Here are the latest numbers.
Endogenous ACTH 11.4 (2.0-10.0)pmol/L,
Insulin, fasting 709 (<=300) pmol/L
Glucose, fasting 10.0(4.3-6.9)mmol/L
Ratio, fasting 71
This blood work was drawn in the am and the mare had been allowed to eat hay.
This horse hasn't shed out very well. She has a very nice, soft one inch coat. Flax based feed? Did I mention she is about a "4" body score now. The vet feels she is borderline "out of control" and put her on Metformin 7000mg twice daily . Any comments or suggestions? Could I switch her to the regular Glanzen Complete?
Had her teeth floated and treated her for an abscess on the back of her tongue. She currently has a nasal infection and is on TMS (oral antibiotics).
I have been lightly working her 3-4 times a week. She is now out with the other horses with a muzzle.
She has not really picked up any weight nor has she foundered.
Would it be advisable to switch from the Lite to Glanzen Complete at this point and supplement with Quiescence.
Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Betsy

Where are you from? Northern Wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? refered by a friend

Re: 13 yr. old IR QH mare

Hi Betsy,

I see that you asked this question in an earlier post and I answered it there.

I thank you for your patience. I often take as much as two weeks to get back to your questions. The best way to reach me sooner would be to schedule a personal phone consultation. And I can go over your horse's situation in far more detail that I can do with this forum.

But, in the meantime, I offered some supplement suggestions. Give those a try and if I can help you further by spending some one-on-one time with you, please let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Betsy Hansen
Hello Dr. Getty.
I am again looking for your input on my mare. I have been feeding the Glanzen Lite Complete and Quiescence since our last correspondence. Here are the latest numbers.
Endogenous ACTH 11.4 (2.0-10.0)pmol/L,
Insulin, fasting 709 (<=300) pmol/L
Glucose, fasting 10.0(4.3-6.9)mmol/L
Ratio, fasting 71
This blood work was drawn in the am and the mare had been allowed to eat hay.
This horse hasn't shed out very well. She has a very nice, soft one inch coat. Flax based feed? Did I mention she is about a "4" body score now. The vet feels she is borderline "out of control" and put her on Metformin 7000mg twice daily . Any comments or suggestions? Could I switch her to the regular Glanzen Complete?
Had her teeth floated and treated her for an abscess on the back of her tongue. She currently has a nasal infection and is on TMS (oral antibiotics).
I have been lightly working her 3-4 times a week. She is now out with the other horses with a muzzle.
She has not really picked up any weight nor has she foundered.
Would it be advisable to switch from the Lite to Glanzen Complete at this point and supplement with Quiescence.
Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Betsy

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO