Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Willie

Dear Dr Getty, Hello and we have spoken before. I just ordered some red msm liquid for Willie. I am beside myself. Willie has been fine with his heaves copd for months and as soon as the hot weather arrives bang. I did ask my Veterinanian Dr. Emond to please give him and INJ and that helped alot but only a mask. (PRE DEF) Is their any thing more that could be done. Thank you and talk soon . Noel Desiato

Where are you from? sherman, ct

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: Willie

Hello Noel,

I'm sorry to hear Willie is having problems -- the stress of the hot, humid weather can often aggravate allergies or other respiratory issues. The best way I can assist you would be to schedule a personal phone consultation. That way, I could spend an hour with you going over every detail of Willie's life, diet, environment, etc. to customize a plan for him.

But, in the meantime, be sure he is outdoors as much as possible and wet down his hay to remove as much dust as you can. MSM is a general anti-inflammatory agent, which is fine. I have had good results with an herbal preparation called Hemo-Cease.

His overall antioxidant intake needs to be examined, but it's difficult to make any recommendation without knowing what he is currently being fed, so please consider contacting me for a phone visit.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

noel desiato
Dear Dr Getty, Hello and we have spoken before. I just ordered some red msm liquid for Willie. I am beside myself. Willie has been fine with his heaves copd for months and as soon as the hot weather arrives bang. I did ask my Veterinanian Dr. Emond to please give him and INJ and that helped alot but only a mask. (PRE DEF) Is their any thing more that could be done. Thank you and talk soon . Noel Desiato

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dear Dr. Getty, Thank you for your reply forgive me for taking so long to get back. Very good advice, for the mean time I have taken Willie off hay all together and feeding him Dengie HI FI from Maine. He is an easy keeper and always ready to eat I feel almost to much. I would very much like to speak with you at some point. I am still giving MSM and because of the no hay intake it has made a huge difference but expensive; but wonderful he feels better. Thank you again and talk at a later date. All the best, Noel Desiato

Where are you from? sherman, ct

Hello Noel,

The Dengie forage contains molasses, which is truly not a good idea for an overweight horse. Instead, go with Triple Crown Safe Starch. This forage does not contain molasses and is fortified with vitamins and minerals. You can feed it free-choice, which is the way to feed horses, to allow them to self-regulate their intake and tell you how much they need. That way they will lose weight on their own.

I'll look forward to visiting with you when you're able.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

noel desiato
Dear Dr. Getty, Thank you for your reply forgive me for taking so long to get back. Very good advice, for the mean time I have taken Willie off hay all together and feeding him Dengie HI FI from Maine. He is an easy keeper and always ready to eat I feel almost to much. I would very much like to speak with you at some point. I am still giving MSM and because of the no hay intake it has made a huge difference but expensive; but wonderful he feels better. Thank you again and talk at a later date. All the best, Noel Desiato

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO