Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Suppliment/Feed advice

Hello Betsy,

Thank you for your patience.

Glanzen Complete is flaxseed meal based, so you would not feed flaxseed meal in addition to Glanzen Complete. And, yes, Quiessence is appropriate to add -- there is no added magnesium in the Glanzen supplement.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Betsy Hansen
Thank-you for the reply. Should I use the Glanzen Complete with flax? Should I also keep feeding her Quiesence?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hello,

Here's the latest on my mare:
Insulin, fasting 254 (<=300)
Glucose, fasting 6.4 (4.3-6.9)
Ratio, fasting 40
She was on Metformin at the time it was drawn. and being fed the following: Glanzen Complete, Quiessence, Balance EQ and Daily Start. She is also on controlled pasture and hay.
The vet finally said maybe she could be pre-cushings.
I have since weaned her off of the Metformin. The plan is to run the labs again after she has been OFF the Metformin for a month.
She has shed nicely. I am however concerned about her going into the severe Wisconsin winter at her current weight. She could still gain some.
I was also wondering what your opinion of StayStrong mineral/vitamin feed? I have 2 other horses that I feed that to along with the Daily Start.
I really appreciated the Cushing's web presentation.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Betsy

Where are you from? Northern Wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? refered by a friend

Hi Betsy,

Stay Strong is fine -- I like ADM Alliance products since they are low in starch and have no added cereal grains.

You will need to add Nutra Flax to the mix -- 1 scoop per 400 lbs of body weight, for the additional calories but also to help with hormonal control and overall health.

See how she does in a month, and please consider a phone consultation so we can go over everything and get her strong and healthy for the winter months.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Cushing's Teleseminar. There is an upcoming one called "Things You Need to Know about Water, Salt, and Electrolyte Supplements" that addresses the salt needs for all horses regardless of the weather or exercise needs. And then in September, there will be one on joints -- "Joint Supplements -- So Many Choices!" Click here if you'd like more information on these two teleseminars.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Betsy Hansen
Hello,

Here's the latest on my mare:
Insulin, fasting 254 (<=300)
Glucose, fasting 6.4 (4.3-6.9)
Ratio, fasting 40
She was on Metformin at the time it was drawn. and being fed the following: Glanzen Complete, Quiessence, Balance EQ and Daily Start. She is also on controlled pasture and hay.
The vet finally said maybe she could be pre-cushings.
I have since weaned her off of the Metformin. The plan is to run the labs again after she has been OFF the Metformin for a month.
She has shed nicely. I am however concerned about her going into the severe Wisconsin winter at her current weight. She could still gain some.
I was also wondering what your opinion of StayStrong mineral/vitamin feed? I have 2 other horses that I feed that to along with the Daily Start.
I really appreciated the Cushing's web presentation.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Betsy

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO