Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Photosensitivity

Dr. Getty,
thank you for answering my previous post on March 10 regarding my gelding's photosensitivity.
He was tested for liver damage and the blood test results came back negative twice. One vet suggested a biopsy (if my memory serves me correctly) to get a more accurate result of liver damage. Could this really be necessary? And what would I do if his liver is damaged?

Thanks, Taunya

Where are you from? CA

How did you locate this forum? Equine Affaire

Re: Photosensitivity

Hi Taunya,

I think a liver biopsy is too invasive a procedure for his situation and if he were my horse, I would not do it.

Since the liver is responsible for removing toxins from the body, I would support it with an herbal preparation such as LiverZyme. This, along with care in his sun exposure and removing any likelihood of toxic plants or mold, may help significantly.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Taunya
Dr. Getty,
thank you for answering my previous post on March 10 regarding my gelding's photosensitivity.
He was tested for liver damage and the blood test results came back negative twice. One vet suggested a biopsy (if my memory serves me correctly) to get a more accurate result of liver damage. Could this really be necessary? And what would I do if his liver is damaged?

Thanks, Taunya

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO