Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: feeding old mare

Hello Erin,

Thank you for writing. I can certainly understand your concern about your mare. She is definitely protein deficient and anemic which, as your vet indicated, could be cancer, a protein loss within her intestinal tract, kidney malfunction, or a combination of things. Frankly, the best way I can assist you would be to spend an hour going over all of the details and her blood work results. So please consider setting up an appointment for a consultation.

In the meantime, I would boost her overall digestive health by giving her AmiQuell to help with any mucosal ulceration. And to keep her hindgut microbial population (and assist with the diarrhea), Equine Gold is worth considering.

I hope to speak with you soon so we can develop a diet that will address her anemia, protein needs, diarrhea, and arthritis, as well as overall aging.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Erin
I have a 21 year old Haflinger mare who's been having minor health issues for the past couple of years which worsened coming out of this past winter. She has arthritis from year's of giving lessons and trail rides and would have occasional mild bouts of diarrhea. This past winter and spring, her diarrhea worsened to the point where she was having watery or cowpie like diarrhea every day. She's negative for Lyme and doesn't have Cushings or IR. She's dewormed regularly and has her teeth floated twice a year. Her most recent bloodwork showed low hemoglobin, hematocrit, white blood cells, albumin, BUN, and total protein. Have switched her from Sentinel LS to Sentinel Senior. She gets 6qts of the Senior feed, divided into 2 feedings, with 1.5oz Red Cell added on top, and she has access to hay 24/7. She is acting more like herself, but she does have some edema along her belly and while she has gained some weight back I can still see and clearly feel all her ribs. My vet thinks she could have PLE or cancer, and definitely has malabsorption issues.

We just got some new hay, which has caused her to go back to having very watery diarrhea, and giving her access to pasture has caused the same. This is leading me to think that maybe she has gotten to the point where trying to digest hay is too much for her system to handle, which has led me to begin researching hayless diets. Wondering if going this route is the right thing to do, especially with the diarrhea she's having with the new hay.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you, Dr Getty. I was thinking about setting up a time for a phone consultation, but I have some more testing to do on my other, probably IR, mare so I wanted to wait until I got those results back.

The good news is, my Haflinger is starting to put on weight and her last total protein was 5.8, up from 5.2!

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? websearch

Hello Erin,

Bood work results, hay analysis reports, etc. help me give you a more accurate analysis. So, I think that would be a good idea.

I'm so pleased the blood protein levels are improving.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Erin
Thank you, Dr Getty. I was thinking about setting up a time for a phone consultation, but I have some more testing to do on my other, probably IR, mare so I wanted to wait until I got those results back.

The good news is, my Haflinger is starting to put on weight and her last total protein was 5.8, up from 5.2!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO