Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
much needed weight gain

Dr.Getty,
After listening to the wonderful teleseminar on Aging, it became crystal clear to me that Sam's much needed weight gain is probably due to the fact that I have had him on a Pre/Pro biotic supplement for 6 months now. I started my old man a year ago for intermittent diarrhea. When his diarrhea was cleared up and has not returned since, I thought I would put Sam on the same supplement at 1/2 the dose I give Simon. It never occurred to me when I asked about MMX and weight gain, that I had put Sam on that. You mentioned in your teleseminar how important hind-gut bacteria are to weight gain/maintanence and then it popped into my head. NOW, he is a perfect weight for the first time since I have owned him. So, do I cut back on the Pre/Probiotic supp or cut back on his feed?? He is only getting a complete pelleted vit/min feed and pasture and hay now (plus his MMX). Both my horses look better since discovering you than they have in years.Thank you. Sorry about the Barbaro thing. Totally get it.

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Re: much needed weight gain

Hi Cristine,

Since they are at a good weight, you can leave them on the maintenance dose of the probiotic supplement and slightly reduce the amount of concentrates you're feeding. If they lose weight, you can always go back to the higher amounts.

Glad you found the Aging Teleseminar helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cristine Cameron
Dr.Getty,
After listening to the wonderful teleseminar on Aging, it became crystal clear to me that Sam's much needed weight gain is probably due to the fact that I have had him on a Pre/Pro biotic supplement for 6 months now. I started my old man a year ago for intermittent diarrhea. When his diarrhea was cleared up and has not returned since, I thought I would put Sam on the same supplement at 1/2 the dose I give Simon. It never occurred to me when I asked about MMX and weight gain, that I had put Sam on that. You mentioned in your teleseminar how important hind-gut bacteria are to weight gain/maintanence and then it popped into my head. NOW, he is a perfect weight for the first time since I have owned him. So, do I cut back on the Pre/Probiotic supp or cut back on his feed?? He is only getting a complete pelleted vit/min feed and pasture and hay now (plus his MMX). Both my horses look better since discovering you than they have in years.Thank you. Sorry about the Barbaro thing. Totally get it.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO