Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
seasonal skin allergies

What do you recommend for severe seasonal skin allergies (hives). My 7 yr. old quarter horse mare has experienced minor outbreaks in the spring, but this year she has had non-stop full body hives. They are not itchy and don't seem to bother her. She looks bad, all bumpy. I've been using Platinum Performance and their allergy supplement with great success. I would like to know what you would recommend. I took her off Glanzen Complete and switched to a cheaper supplement, which I think allowed the allergy to take over. Thanks.

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: seasonal skin allergies

Hello 10Walker,

While paying more for some things may not be worth it, in the horse supplement world, you generally get what you pay for. Nutrients are expensive and a less expensive supplement is likely to cut back on important items such as vitamin E and other antioxidants, along with flaxseed meal.

So if she was doing well on the Glanzen Complete, it would be worth considering giving it to her again. In addition, I highly recommend Spirulina. This blue-green algae has a lot of research behind it relating to allergy prevention. I like the wafers offered by Springtime, Inc. Give her one wafer (2 grams of spirulina) per 100 lbs of body weight, twice daily.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

10walker
What do you recommend for severe seasonal skin allergies (hives). My 7 yr. old quarter horse mare has experienced minor outbreaks in the spring, but this year she has had non-stop full body hives. They are not itchy and don't seem to bother her. She looks bad, all bumpy. I've been using Platinum Performance and their allergy supplement with great success. I would like to know what you would recommend. I took her off Glanzen Complete and switched to a cheaper supplement, which I think allowed the allergy to take over. Thanks.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO