Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "thirst quencher" product...

Greetings Jane,

I tried searching for it on line and no website came up. If you have the link, I'll be happy to look at it.

The Teleseminar will cover electrolyte supplementation but will also emphasize many subjects relating to how the horse balances water, salt, and potassium, to keep him sweating properly and keep his muscles functioning well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jane Ames
Ever heard of the product called Thirst Quencher? Some facebook folks are saying it's marvelous stuff. I referred them to your upcoming teleseminar on salt, electrolytes, etc...!!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

http://www.horsequencher.co.uk/faq.html

It's actually called "Horse Quencher" - sorry.....

Where are you from? Upstate NY

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the website. They do not list the exact guaranteed analysis so it is difficult to assess.

Plus, I am not happy with the ingredients. I quote: "Ingredients including barley,
salt, oats, beet pulp, corn, soybean oil, apple nectar, and a trace amount of molasses (8%),"

Barley, oats? corn? molasses? No -- not appropriate. An electrolyte supplement should offer sodium chloride, potassium, and lesser levels of magnesium and trace minerals. But not cereal grains. And sugar is common in electrolyte supplements, but I prefer those that do not contain sugar.

Interesting, but no cigar.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jane Ames
http://www.horsequencher.co.uk/faq.html

It's actually called "Horse Quencher" - sorry.....

Re: "Hose quencher".

It is my understanding that this product is not meant to be an electrolyte. It is a flavoring used to encourage horses just to drink. For example at an endurance ride you may put it in their water to encourage them to drink. Electrolytes would be given separately. I know some rider just float oats in the water to get the horses to think about drinking.

Where are you from? Cool, California

Re: "Hose quencher".

Hi Sheila,

Now that makes more sense. Thank you, Sheila, for the clarification.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sheila_Larsen
It is my understanding that this product is not meant to be an electrolyte. It is a flavoring used to encourage horses just to drink. For example at an endurance ride you may put it in their water to encourage them to drink. Electrolytes would be given separately. I know some rider just float oats in the water to get the horses to think about drinking.