Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Drinking Issues

I have an off the track TB with drinking issues.....they are related to trust issues he has. He does not drink well in new environments....add that to this excessive heat and you got a problem! He's just moved to a new farm and he won't drink I just had to have the vet out for dehydration colic! Of course, this means his routine is altered so he can recover and this causes a chain reaction of set backs. So I need a PREVENTIVE METHOD for him.....he's already on electrolyes. I realize more and more that boarding is NOT the way for him, prolonged unemployment has me in a situation not of my making! How can I help him adjust quicker and drink no matter what?? Horse Quencher was mentioned to me but I don't like the grain component of it.

HELP!
Tessa

Where are you from? North Carolina

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Re: Drinking Issues

Hello Tessa,

Most retired racing horses have ulcers, and this is the first thing I would approach. I recommend taking him off of the electrolyte supplement. He does not need it unless you are exercising him extensively. What he needs is salt -- plain, white salt (iodized if he is not getting iodine from another source).

Offer him two things -- a plain white salt block, plus, granulated table salt (that you buy in the grocery store), offered in a bucket, free choice. He is more likely to dab his tongue on the granulated salt since many horses do not adequately lick a salt block.

Make sure his water is clean with no additives. And then, in a separate water container, offer him some flavoring agent. Start with apple cider vinegar -- about 1/2 cup in a 5 gallon water bucket. Most horses like it. If he doesn't, then consider a small amount of apple juice.

Be sure he is getting all the hay he wants -- that he never runs out. An empty stomach will leave it filled with acid (since his stomach is constantly secreting acid, even when empty). Chewing is the best thing for his digestive system, along with a steady supply of forage to prevent colic.

And if your budget will allow, consider giving him AmiQuell to soothe his digestive lining.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Tessa Wood-Woolard
I have an off the track TB with drinking issues.....they are related to trust issues he has. He does not drink well in new environments....add that to this excessive heat and you got a problem! He's just moved to a new farm and he won't drink I just had to have the vet out for dehydration colic! Of course, this means his routine is altered so he can recover and this causes a chain reaction of set backs. So I need a PREVENTIVE METHOD for him.....he's already on electrolyes. I realize more and more that boarding is NOT the way for him, prolonged unemployment has me in a situation not of my making! How can I help him adjust quicker and drink no matter what?? Horse Quencher was mentioned to me but I don't like the grain component of it.

HELP!
Tessa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO