Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen Products compared to Platinum Performance

My mare with skin allergies has recovered from her severe case of seasonal hives on 1 month of Platinum Performance and their allergy supplement. She is now on 2 scoops of plain Platinum Performance and doing great. Before I tried to switch to a cheaper (non-falx based supplement) my mare was on Glanzen Complete. I would like to switch her back to Glanzen, but wonder how it compares to Platinum Performance (by Alamo Pintado Vet Clinic). I don't want to miss something. Thanks.

Where are you from? California

Re: Glanzen Products compared to Platinum Performance

Hi 10 Walker,

Platinum Performance is a highly comprehensive, flaxseed meal based supplement and many horses do very well on it. Glanzen Complete is very similar in that it is flaxseed meal based, but Glanzen Complete offers more vitamin E and vitamin D, and also contains vitamin C (which PP does not contain). PP does not seem to contain vitamin B1 either, which in my opinion, is not a good balance because all of the B vitamins work together and to have one missing puts the horse at a nutritional disadvantage.

PP also contains molasses and iron, which may not be appropriate for all horses.

PP does contain all of the essential amino acids, which would be helpful for horses that do not get quality protein from their forages.

So, all in all, I really like Glanzen Complete. It has worked remarkably well for hundreds of horses over the years and truly fills in the nutritional gaps that are found in predominantly hay diets.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

10walker
My mare with skin allergies has recovered from her severe case of seasonal hives on 1 month of Platinum Performance and their allergy supplement. She is now on 2 scoops of plain Platinum Performance and doing great. Before I tried to switch to a cheaper (non-falx based supplement) my mare was on Glanzen Complete. I would like to switch her back to Glanzen, but wonder how it compares to Platinum Performance (by Alamo Pintado Vet Clinic). I don't want to miss something. Thanks.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I will go back to Glanzen complete, once I'm out of PP. I tried to save money by switching from GC to a local supplement, with obvious disastorous results with my allergy prone mare. She is in fine bloom now. Thanks so much for your time.

Where are you from? California

Always glad to help!

10walker
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I will go back to Glanzen complete, once I'm out of PP. I tried to save money by switching from GC to a local supplement, with obvious disastorous results with my allergy prone mare. She is in fine bloom now. Thanks so much for your time.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO