Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Joint supplement

Hi Dr. Getty
I am writing about my 5 year old spotted draft. He has been having a locking stifle issue lately. I had the vet and a chiro out to see him and both said it was young joints and he needs more muscle. I was pregnant when it first happened but now he is getting back to work 3x a week. Nothing performance wise we mostly pleasure ride and drive. My question is would Nova benefit from a joint supplement? I was looking at platinum performance cj but it has molasses and Nova is sensitive to sugars. He is currently on poulin carb safe grain 1lb. twice a day and mega cell along with pasture and hay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time
Meghan

Where are you from? Western MA

How did you locate this forum? Have written before

Re: Joint supplement

Hello Meghan,

Yes, I would definitely give a joint supplement a try for at least 3 months to see if it is making a difference. The exercise is very helpful because joints are strengthened when the surrounding muscles are strengthened. But, in addition, try giving Actiflex Powder a try. Start at a double dose (two scoops per day) for 10 days and then reduce to the maintenance dose of one scoop/day. See if he shows some improvement and if he does better on the double dose, you can keep him on it.

In addition, a low starch diet is preferable, along with free choice grass hay plus approximately 30% alfalfa hay (or you can feed alfalfa pellets or cubes along with his commercially fortified feed). The alfalfa is very helpful for boosting protein quality.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
I am writing about my 5 year old spotted draft. He has been having a locking stifle issue lately. I had the vet and a chiro out to see him and both said it was young joints and he needs more muscle. I was pregnant when it first happened but now he is getting back to work 3x a week. Nothing performance wise we mostly pleasure ride and drive. My question is would Nova benefit from a joint supplement? I was looking at platinum performance cj but it has molasses and Nova is sensitive to sugars. He is currently on poulin carb safe grain 1lb. twice a day and mega cell along with pasture and hay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time
Meghan

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO