Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hemo Cease

Hi Dr Getty,
My 18 yo horse suffers from Respiratory/Allergy issues and I'd like to get some more information regarding the Hemo Cease product you recommend in your on-line store. Are there any side effects? How long would my horse need to take it? Can the dosage be reduced at any point? Can supplementation be stopped at any point? It is an expensive supplement - is there anything that would work as well that does not cost as much?
Thank you for your time and thank you for your very informative book! It is very helpful information that every horse owner should know.
Claud

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? Feed your horse like a horse book

Re: Hemo Cease

Hello Claud,

Thank you -- I am delighted that you have found my book helpful!

Hemo Cease contains Bioflavanoids -- these are very effective for allergies and support vitamin C. In fact, bioflavanoids are found in the pulp of fruits and vegetables that contain vitamin C. And the product also contains herbs that are specific to respiratory function.

You only need to use Hemo Cease during those times when allergies are at their worst. If you horse is better in the winter, for example, you would not need to use it year round.

But, before you use Hemo Cease, why not take a close look at your horse's overall diet to make sure that it contains high quality protein, and all of the nutritional gaps are filled in. For example, a product called SuPer Antioxidant is an excellent way to get enough antioxidants into the horse's system while providing a full complement of nutrients.

In addition, your horse would benefit from vitamin C. At his age, he no longer produces enough and vitamin C is not only an antioxidant but it also has antihistimine properties. C-442 is worthwhile.

Finally, consider giving Spirulina. I like the Spirulina Wafers offered by Springtime, Inc. www.springtimeinc.com.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

claud
Hi Dr Getty,
My 18 yo horse suffers from Respiratory/Allergy issues and I'd like to get some more information regarding the Hemo Cease product you recommend in your on-line store. Are there any side effects? How long would my horse need to take it? Can the dosage be reduced at any point? Can supplementation be stopped at any point? It is an expensive supplement - is there anything that would work as well that does not cost as much?
Thank you for your time and thank you for your very informative book! It is very helpful information that every horse owner should know.
Claud

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO