Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ration Balancers and the Easy Keeper

Hi Dr. Getty - I would like your thoughts on ration balancers, i.e. Purina Enrich 32, Buckeye Grow and Win, Triple Crown 30%, etc. I have a 10 year old, very easy keeper quarter horse gelding who is boarded at a facility. His workload right now is maintenance. He gets unlimited grass hay (round bale in night turnout), plenty of hay in stall and whatever feed ration I make up for him. His feed/supplements are bagged in ziploc bags and taken to the barn weekly. I have no idea the analysis of the hay, since it comes from multiple sources.

I know the ration balancers are highly recommended for easy keepers (I've used Purina, Buckeye and McCauley's) - but - I look at my horse and he seems to bulk up on these products, i.e. like he's a wrestler on steroids!! Is it possible that a horse can gain weight, or appear bloated, on these nutrient dense, soybean meal based rations? My Barn Owner agrees with my observations. Is the ration balancer too much protein for a horse like mine?

I can only feed 1-2 pounds of "something" to my horse per day because he gains weight so easily. Currently he is on 1.5 pounds of McCauley's M30 (ration balancer) and Grand Hoof supplement. Purina recommends 1.5 pounds, Buckeye l.25 pounds. The ration balancer amounts are recommended because his hay isn't always that great. I try to keep his calories around 2500 or less in addition to his hay. He also needs something for his coat/skin, being solid black, he has skin issues on low fat feed.

He is a challenge to feed and I am very frustrated. My vet wants him to lose some weight and feels the round bale is the problem, not my feeding plan. Is my horse possibly getting too much hay? I would rather he's a little chubby going into winter.

I've seen that Purina's Wellsolve Low Starch feed has no soybean meal in it (some of Triple Crown's feeds has none either) - so in fact does the soybean meal cause problems for some horses?

thank you so much for your thoughts.

Where are you from? St. Louis, MO

How did you locate this forum? internet search engine

Re: Ration Balancers and the Easy Keeper

Hello Marilyn,

Sounds to me like he is being overfed -- simply too many calories -- which is why he is gaining weight. Simplify things -- all the grass hay he wants, 24/7 and a vitamin/mineral supplement, added to a very small amount of a carrier feed. Plus one level tablespoon of table salt in each meal. And plenty of water, always available. Period.

I recommend feeding him a small amount (one or two cups) of either soaked beet pulp, moistened alfalfa pellets, or you can use Purina Wellsolve L/S and to this, add a flaxseed meal based vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. I prefer Glanzen Lite Complete -- 2 scoops per day.

This will not only make him healthy, but will simplify your life and be easier on your purse.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Marilyn Bundy
Hi Dr. Getty - I would like your thoughts on ration balancers, i.e. Purina Enrich 32, Buckeye Grow and Win, Triple Crown 30%, etc. I have a 10 year old, very easy keeper quarter horse gelding who is boarded at a facility. His workload right now is maintenance. He gets unlimited grass hay (round bale in night turnout), plenty of hay in stall and whatever feed ration I make up for him. His feed/supplements are bagged in ziploc bags and taken to the barn weekly. I have no idea the analysis of the hay, since it comes from multiple sources.

I know the ration balancers are highly recommended for easy keepers (I've used Purina, Buckeye and McCauley's) - but - I look at my horse and he seems to bulk up on these products, i.e. like he's a wrestler on steroids!! Is it possible that a horse can gain weight, or appear bloated, on these nutrient dense, soybean meal based rations? My Barn Owner agrees with my observations. Is the ration balancer too much protein for a horse like mine?

I can only feed 1-2 pounds of "something" to my horse per day because he gains weight so easily. Currently he is on 1.5 pounds of McCauley's M30 (ration balancer) and Grand Hoof supplement. Purina recommends 1.5 pounds, Buckeye l.25 pounds. The ration balancer amounts are recommended because his hay isn't always that great. I try to keep his calories around 2500 or less in addition to his hay. He also needs something for his coat/skin, being solid black, he has skin issues on low fat feed.

He is a challenge to feed and I am very frustrated. My vet wants him to lose some weight and feels the round bale is the problem, not my feeding plan. Is my horse possibly getting too much hay? I would rather he's a little chubby going into winter.

I've seen that Purina's Wellsolve Low Starch feed has no soybean meal in it (some of Triple Crown's feeds has none either) - so in fact does the soybean meal cause problems for some horses?

thank you so much for your thoughts.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

thank you Dr. Getty - I am going to follow your advice and simplify "Black Jack's" feeding plan. I already have the Purina Wellsolve L/S and I will order Glanzen Lite Complete from your store. I too agree with the unlimited hay - I can't thank you enough for your recommendations. I so enjoy your site :o)

Where are you from? St. Louis, MO

How did you locate this forum? yahoo search engine

Thank YOU, Marilyn, for doing such a fine job.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Marilyn Bundy
thank you Dr. Getty - I am going to follow your advice and simplify "Black Jack's" feeding plan. I already have the Purina Wellsolve L/S and I will order Glanzen Lite Complete from your store. I too agree with the unlimited hay - I can't thank you enough for your recommendations. I so enjoy your site )

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO