Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Filly with epiphysitis not improving

Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a 3 1/2 month old filly (still nursing) that developed epiphysitis. The vet told me that it was likely because I was feeding straight alfalfa, with about two pounds of Strategy, and a quarter of a pound calf manna. She doesn't seem to be lame but she has the swollen ankles, especially in the back legs. The vet recommended I change her diet to plenty of grass hay plus a little alfalfa, and a pound of Safechoice a day, plus a mineral supplement called GCAL he had me special order that also contains dicalcium phosphorus, and the copper that is usually recommended.

I have been doing this for about a month but have not noticed any improvement. I know from reading your advice to others that it would probably be best to get a low starch food such as Buckeye, ADM, or Triple Crown, but I checked and there are no feedstores in my area, not even within 200 miles that carry any of the feeds I have seen recommended. All they carry around here is Strategy or Safechoice. I also started her on Rejuvanaid because the trace mineral that the vet recommended wasn't really calculated for a nursing foal (I spoke with their nutritionist) and that made me uncomfortable about using it. I started MSM as well.

Should I take her off the Safechoice? She really likes beet pulp and I have read that is ok, and I could mix the Rejuvanaid with that. I talked to their nutritionist and they recommended doubling the dose. My concern is is too much minerals going to compound the problem? Is all that calcium going to make it worse especially since she is still nursing? How much beet pulp would be okay? She weighs about 320 pounds right now. Should I give any alfalfa, or did that cause the problem? How long does it usually take to see an improvement? I plan to wean her as soon as she is 4 months old, but should I wean her any sooner than that? I am worrying myself sick over this baby, and I have been told so many different things, don't feed, do feed, don't exercise, do exercise... there is a lot of controversy over this.

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? Internet searching

Re: Filly with epiphysitis not improving

Oh, and one more question, I found out I can get the ADM products such as Patriot Junoir, which I noticed had no corn in the ingredients that I could see. Would that be a good choice of feed? Also I think I can get JunoirGlo, but my vet told me to stay away from anything over 14% protein. JunoirGlo has 19 percent. However JunoirGlo states it is specifically formulated to prevent DOD. What do you think of these products?

Hi Candi,

Protein is not the issue -- starch is. I believe your vet is concerned about protein because he/she doesn't want your foal to grow too quickly.

I highly recommend Junior Glo, by ADM Alliance. This company's products are based on reduced amount of starch and I have a very high regard for their nutritionist, Dr. Judith Reynolds. Here is a description of the feed: http://www.admani.com/allianceequine/Juniorglo%20Horse%20feed.htm

Feed her 1/2 lb per 100 lbs of body weight, so for 320 lbs, give her 1.6 lbs. That amounts to approximately 1 quart per day but it's best to weigh her feed and feed it in two meals.

This reduced amount of feed will help keep her healthy without excessive weight gain. Do not add any more supplements.

In addition, all the grass hay she wants, along with 30 to 40% percent of her hay ration as alfalfa.

I assume she is nursing -- delay weaning so it can occur naturally -- that is the best approach.

Make sure there is a plain, white salt block and free choice granualted table salt always available, along with fresh, clean water.

Allow her to exercise, but not excessively. Go with your vet's instructions on this.

Simplicity will do her better than adding a bunch of minerals that she is already supposed to be getting from milk, and from alfalfa hay. And the tendency to add large amounts of copper is not helpful at this stage in her life. The pregnant mare needs extra copper so the foal will be born with enough in storage. But adding extra amounts (beyond normal requirements) after the foal is born, is not useful.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Candi
Oh, and one more question, I found out I can get the ADM products such as Patriot Junoir, which I noticed had no corn in the ingredients that I could see. Would that be a good choice of feed? Also I think I can get JunoirGlo, but my vet told me to stay away from anything over 14% protein. JunoirGlo has 19 percent. However JunoirGlo states it is specifically formulated to prevent DOD. What do you think of these products?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much for the advice. I also called and talked with one of the nutritionist at ADM about Junoir Glo. He asked me if my filly is an easy keeper, which she is, truthfully she is fat even after I have cut her back to almost no grain, just a handful of beet pulp (wet) and a handful of safechoice. He recommended that for now, I give her ADM's Mintrate (about 1/2 pound twice/daily) in a handful of beetpulp and once the epiphysitis goes down to put her on Junoir Glo, but I am kind of scared to do this. Mintrate has like 33% protein in it. I know protein is controversial but the nutritionist was insisting I am doing her more harm with the epiphysitis by not have a lot of protein in her diet. What do you think of this suggestion. I'm afraid to put that much protein in her diet.

Hello Candi,

I believe the ADM Alliance nutritionist was recommending Mintrate because it is lower in calories than the Junior Glo and lower in carbohydrates. I would go with a small amount -- the lowest end of the recommendation level is .25 lbs to 100 lbs of body weight. So, if your filly weighs 300 lbs, for example, you would feed 3/4 lb per day.

Don't let the protein concern you. She needs extra protein and while Mintrate has a high protein concentration, it gets diluted by the overall diet. So, she is not getting 33% protein when the total diet is calculated. And remember, starch is the issue, so Safe Choice, for example, is not low enough in starch.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Candi
Thank you so much for the advice. I also called and talked with one of the nutritionist at ADM about Junoir Glo. He asked me if my filly is an easy keeper, which she is, truthfully she is fat even after I have cut her back to almost no grain, just a handful of beet pulp (wet) and a handful of safechoice. He recommended that for now, I give her ADM's Mintrate (about 1/2 pound twice/daily) in a handful of beetpulp and once the epiphysitis goes down to put her on Junoir Glo, but I am kind of scared to do this. Mintrate has like 33% protein in it. I know protein is controversial but the nutritionist was insisting I am doing her more harm with the epiphysitis by not have a lot of protein in her diet. What do you think of this suggestion. I'm afraid to put that much protein in her diet.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO