Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hay/overweight horse questions

Hi Jeni,

Does this hay contain any legume such as alfalfa or clover? I ask because the calorie level is quite high -- .98 Mcal/lb. So this is a very fattening hay.

Yes, you calculated the NSC percentage correctly -- it is 15.2%. This is higher than what we would like to see for insulin resistant horses.

So, ideally, it would be best to dilute this hay with a batch of grass hay that has a lower caloric content. But, if you cannot, then feed it in a slow feeder, free choice, and up the exercise. Put slow feeders in various places, if at all possible, to encourage walking.

The fact that he has thrush indicates a problem with the immune function. I would suggest either feeding Glanzen Lite Complete (not Glanzen Lite) to provide adequate vitamins that are missing in hay and boost immune function. Or, you can choose SuPer Antioxidant, along with Nutra Flax.

Keep me posted. I'm so pleased you are finding my book helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jeni
(Sorry,I keep adding to my own post because I cannot edit them)

The horse is a 16 yr old paint gelding. I am considering switching his feed to: High Point Grass with flax and added hoof support or could do Glanzen Lite with added pre/probiotics to simplify the feeding process (and eliminate the joint supplement, he may not need it).

Thanks for your thoughts, enjoying the book a lot!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks Dr Getty,

I asked about what is in the hay and apparently there was a patch in the field that had some traces of alfalfa, but otherwise there is clover and most is a grass mix. I am going to periodically test again to see if there is any changes within this load of hay (700 bales).

I've made all the other changes you recommended and will give it some time to settle in.

Where are you from? CT

How did you locate this forum? online

Hello Jeni,

Clover is also a legume (like alfalfa) which would account for the higher caloric value.

Keep me posted on how things are going.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jeni
Thanks Dr Getty,

I asked about what is in the hay and apparently there was a patch in the field that had some traces of alfalfa, but otherwise there is clover and most is a grass mix. I am going to periodically test again to see if there is any changes within this load of hay (700 bales).

I've made all the other changes you recommended and will give it some time to settle in.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO