Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Natural feeders

Hi Nancy,

When horses see that they have all the forage they want (having been without forage for periods of time in the past), they respond as though they've come to a big party! They eat, non-stop sometimes. But, give it some time -- most horses start to slow down within a week. I have had a few cases where it has taken over a month, though very few. Even then, I have never seen a horse colic while self-regulating.

A few pointers...

First, make sure the hay is safe to feed free choice -- have it analyzed. The %WSC plus %Starch (equals %NSC) should be less than 12%.

Next, do not cause frustration with slow feeders. You need to provide hay that is easily accessible (say, on the ground) alongside a slow feeding system. Frustration can lead to a hormonal response that can lead to laminitis. Slowly, and gradually, allow them to choose the slow feeder.

Third, never let them run out of hay -- not even for 10 minutes. If they run out, they will never get the message that there is always forage available, and will continue to overeat. But, if there is always hay available, all day and all night, then and only then will they relax and their instincts will start to kick in.

Fourth... have enough hay/feeders to remove competition from other horses. Again, frustration will defeat your purpose and actually keep them overweight.

Fifth... patience. Give it some time.

And finally, if at all possible, provide some movement into their routine by placing feeders in various places, to encourage them to move around. And exercise your horses regularly to help boost metabolism, and reduce insulin resistance.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Nancy
My horses are all easy keepers. I bought the natural feeders and have had them for 2 days. My horses are eating everything within hours. I know you say to let them self regulate, but their going to explode.They said to keep them full and not run out of hay. I don't want a vet call either.If they continue at this pace aren't they going to colic? I have the smallest grate on now and it doesn't matter they aren't slowing down yet. Have you ever had a horse colic before it regulates? Worried.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO