Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
resuce horse that wont gain weight

hello,
i am at witts end, i have a rescue horse that i have had for almost 2 yrs. and have tried everything to put weight on this mare she is a QH about 19 yrs old and is 15'2 and weighs approx.750lbs. i have had blood work done at cornell for a complete cbc and thyroid even though my vet said thats not her problem she is wormed regularly and is fed 2x daily w/free hay and pasture.all blood work came back WNL including thyroid. she has all her teeth and never foundered we thought cushings and so she is on triple crown lite starch.and blue seal LT she gets approx. 6 qts. 2sx daily.at this time. i thought maybe ESPM enzymes came back normal. no muscle biopsy was done.with winter coming im concerened about her well being.she does not do well with blanketing because she lays down alot.my vet has been consulting with new bolton. do you have any suggestions.
thank you
cari

Where are you from? halifax, pa

How did you locate this forum? checking out ncs questions

Re: resuce horse that wont gain weight

Hello Cari,

You did the right thing in first ruling out any medical issues. So, the goal now is two fold:

First: Calories -- fat offers the best source since it is more concentrated that carbs or protein. But not all fat is the same -- you want omega 3s. I would give her 3 full scoops per day of Flaxseed meal as Nutra Flax.

Second: Hind gut microbes -- this population is responsible for digesting fiber that is found in hay and pasture. Without adequate bacterial population, your horse cannot derive calories from all that wonderful forage you're giving her. So, she cannot gain weight. I recommend a product called Equine Gold. This offers prebiotics to feed the existing microbes along with probiotics to add to their numbers. Plus it has digestive enzymes, which tend to subside as horses age. Give her a double dose per day, divided between meals.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

cari potteiger
hello,
i am at witts end, i have a rescue horse that i have had for almost 2 yrs. and have tried everything to put weight on this mare she is a QH about 19 yrs old and is 15'2 and weighs approx.750lbs. i have had blood work done at cornell for a complete cbc and thyroid even though my vet said thats not her problem she is wormed regularly and is fed 2x daily w/free hay and pasture.all blood work came back WNL including thyroid. she has all her teeth and never foundered we thought cushings and so she is on triple crown lite starch.and blue seal LT she gets approx. 6 qts. 2sx daily.at this time. i thought maybe ESPM enzymes came back normal. no muscle biopsy was done.with winter coming im concerened about her well being.she does not do well with blanketing because she lays down alot.my vet has been consulting with new bolton. do you have any suggestions.
thank you
cari

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO