Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: older horse trying to gain weight

Hello Jaclyn,

To feed this Dumor Feed according to directions, you would need to feed 1.5 lbs per 100 lbs of body weight, which is more than what most people would feed (that would amount to 15 lbs per day for a 1000 lb horse!) Plus, it has a very minimal amount of vitamins and minerals, so all in all, I think it would be best to add a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement that offers flaxseed meal (for more fat plus omega 3s) to this feed. You can continue to feed as much as you're currently offering (no more than 4 lbs per meal) or you can increase it if he needs more calories.

The supplement I recommend is Glanzen Complete (3 scoops per day for a full sized horse). This would be an excellent approach. Or you could go with High Point for Grass Diets, plus 3 scoops of Nutra Flax per day.

Grass hay, free choice, some alfalfa (about 20-30% of hay ration would be ideal), temperature controlled water to encourage enough drinking during the winter, a plain white salt block plus salt offered free choice, and you're set!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jaclyn
I have an older gelding roughly 30yrs. He is thin. I am trying to get him to gain weight before winter. He is out on pasture 24/7 right now and being brought in several times a week to be fed (sometimes hard to know because just about everyone at the barn will feed him if he comes up) . He is on Dumor senior feed, has been on it for years. I recently added beet pulp. After talking to my vet he is now getting B12 injections 3CC a week with an Androgynous steroid and only every 6 weeks. He only had the injections once. I am wanting to know if the feed is sufficient enough, and how much a day should I be feeding.
Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO