Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Free feeding - weight problem

Hello Faye,

The slow feeder net that you're using is fine -- just be sure to keep it filled to allow for him to self-regulate his intake.

If he runs out of hay, the stress response will keep body fat from being burned for energy and his fat deposits will remain.

But he sounds insulin resistant because of the slight crestiness to his neck. Horses can be of normal weight, even thin in spots (such as on the ribs) and still have regional fat deposits. So your goal is to continue exercising him as much as you're able. And give him both flaxseed meal and magnesium.

It sounds like you're feeding two vitamin/minerals supplements. I would limit his supplementation to Glanzen Lite Complete (rather than Glanzen Lite) to fill in the vitamin gaps that exist with hay. Give him 2 full scoops of this supplement.

And with magnesium, I prefer Quiessence because of its chromium content, as well as its palatability. But, you can certainly start with the Magnesium Oxide you purchased. Each scoop provides 10,000 mg of magnesium and I would start with that amount.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Faye
Hello,
I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before. I have a 5 year old TWH gelding. I am feeding him Bermuda hay with a Busy Horse free choice feeding net - the smallest holes for the slowest feeding. He also gets HorseTech Glazen Lite and High Point V/M for grass supplements. He has a bit of a cresty neck, I can feel his ribs, but just barely. He is 14.2 hands, and the weight calculators estimate him at pushing 1000 lbs. He does not look fat, but not a pound more or he would be. I ride him 3 days a week, about 2 hours each time. So the question is, how do I keep feeding him free choice and get him to loose weight at the same time? I work, so I cannot ride more. I have not had the hay tested because I buy at the feed store only 20 bales at a time, and it is too expensive to test every load. He has 24/7 turnout, but spends most of the day under the shade eating his hay.
Thank you,
Faye

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty:

Here are the ingredients in HorseTech's High Point Vit/Min supplement:

Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae), Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Chloride, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Magnesium Oxide, Selenium Yeast, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Carbonate, d-Alpha Tocopheryl (Natural Vitamin E), DL-Methionine, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), L-Threonine, Calcium Citrate (Source of Silica), Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacinamide, Fructooligosaccharides, Mannanoligosaccharides, Dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Whey, Natural Flavorings,
Natural Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant)

Feeding Directions

Use to supplement equine diets based on grass or “mixed” hay. May also be used where a “general purpose” daily supplement is required.

Feed to Horses weighing 1,000 lbs, or more, at the rate of three (3) ounces (85 grams) per day. Usage rate can be reduced proportionately, based on weight, for lighter breeds, younger horses, ponies, etc.

Feed at the rate of 4.5 ounces (127 grams) for pregnant mares in final 1/3 of gestation through initial 1/3 of lactation.

The enclosed 48cc scoop will hold approximately 1.50 ounces when filled to “level”. Two (2) level scoops will provide approximately three (3) ounces
(85 grams).

High Point Grass
Crude Protein 8.00%
Crude Fat 0.50%
Crude Fiber 6.00%
Lysine 3.00%
Methionine 2.75%
Threonine 0.75%
Calcium (min) 9.00%
Calcium (max) 10.00%
Phosphorus (min) 6.00%
Magnesium (min) 2.00%
Salt (min) 4.00%
Salt (max) 6.00%

Trace Minerals Amount Provided Per 3 oz. Serving
Zinc1 360 mg
Copper1 125 mg
Manganese1 200 mg
Cobalt1 25 mg
Iodine 2.0 mg
Selenium2 1.50 mg

Vitamins Amount Provided Per 3 oz. Serving
Vitamin A 30,000 IU
Vitamin D3 3,000 IU
Vitamin E 750 IU
Vitamin C 500 mg
Vitamin K 10 mg
Biotin 6 mg
Thiamine 30 mg
Riboflavin 40 mg
Niacin 90 mg
Pantothenic Acid (B5) 35 mg
Pyridoxine (B6) 35 mg
Folic Acid 25 mg
Vitamin B12 300 mcg

Probiotics Yes
Prebiotics3 Yes
Flavoring Molasses, Natural,
Non-Sugar

It still doesn't have chromium, but has a lot more stuff than just Glazen Lite Complete. Do you think feeding High Point Grass and Glazen Lite with the magnesium oxide will be sufficient? I can get Quiessence the next time. Or maybe HorseTech can add chromium to the High Point Grass. What does the chromium do exactly - how would it help his condition? I see you recommend more magnesium than the guy at HorseTech told me. Along with the magnesium that is in High Point Grass he would then be getting 62%. Would that be right?
With thanks,
Faye

Where are you from? Nevada

How did you locate this forum? your website

Hi again Dr. Getty,
Isn't the yeast culture in the HorseTech High Point V/M supplement actually "chromium"? If so is it sufficient for IR? If not, how much more would I need to add?
With thanks,
Faye

Where are you from? Nevada

How did you locate this forum? your website

Hello Faye,

Actually feeding High Point plus Glanzen Lite creates some overlaps. The Glanzen Lite provides flaxseed meal which is very helpful for insulin resistant horses.

So, you can go one of two routes:
1)High Point plus Nutra Flax (for flaxseed meal) or
2)Glanzen Lite Complete (not Glanzen Lite) to fill in all the gaps that exist with hay.

There is no chromium in either of these preparations, so I like to go with Quiessence for that reason.

If your horse needs hoof support, go with BioFlax20 instead of Nutra Flax.

But to give two vitamin/minerals supplements as you're currently doing, is creating too much of a good thing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Faye
Hi again Dr. Getty,
Isn't the yeast culture in the HorseTech High Point V/M supplement actually "chromium"? If so is it sufficient for IR? If not, how much more would I need to add?
With thanks,
Faye

Faye
Hi again Dr. Getty,
With thanks,
Faye

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO