Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Free feeding - weight problem

Hi again Dr. Getty,
Isn't the yeast culture in the HorseTech High Point V/M supplement actually "chromium"? If so is it sufficient for IR? If not, how much more would I need to add?
With thanks,
Faye

Where are you from? Nevada

How did you locate this forum? your website

Re: Free feeding - weight problem

Hello Faye,

Actually feeding High Point plus Glanzen Lite creates some overlaps. The Glanzen Lite provides flaxseed meal which is very helpful for insulin resistant horses.

So, you can go one of two routes:
1)High Point plus Nutra Flax (for flaxseed meal) or
2)Glanzen Lite Complete (not Glanzen Lite) to fill in all the gaps that exist with hay.

There is no chromium in either of these preparations, so I like to go with Quiessence for that reason.

If your horse needs hoof support, go with BioFlax20 instead of Nutra Flax.

But to give two vitamin/minerals supplements as you're currently doing, is creating too much of a good thing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Faye
Hi again Dr. Getty,
Isn't the yeast culture in the HorseTech High Point V/M supplement actually "chromium"? If so is it sufficient for IR? If not, how much more would I need to add?
With thanks,
Faye

Faye
Hi again Dr. Getty,
With thanks,
Faye

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO