Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to feed a horse recovering from starvation

HI JUDY SEEMS WE HAVE A SOMEWHAT SIMILIAR SITUATION I JUST ADOPTED 2 RESCUE HORSES SAME SITUATION iF YOU GET A CHANCE NEXT TIME YOU ARE UP AT 1AM IN THE MORNING....LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT ? THANKS

FRANK DUBREE
E-MAIL FD@PROTRAININGCENTER.COM

Where are you from? PASCO WA

How did you locate this forum? THROUGH JOE CAMP

Hello Judy,

Thank you for rescuing this horse -- he is lucky to have you.

I would not feed the Blue Seal Charger because, as I explained to Frank in his earlier post, corn is poorly digested and you run a significant risk of him developing laminitis by feeding it. Also, draft horses are genetically predisposed toward insulin resistance, and therefore, should be on a low starch diet -- the Blue Seal feed is very, very high in starch (and corn).

The Sentinal LS, however, is a much better choice. It is low in starch compared to feeds made with large amounts of cereal grains, and it is higher in fat, which is a better source of calories for him. It does, however, contain some corn, but it much further down on the list of ingredients. I recommend feeding him according to directions. Get yourself a scale and weigh out .7 lbs per 100 lbs of body weight. That comes to 8.75 lbs per day, rounded up to 9 lbs per day. You'll need to feed him three meals per day since his stomach is not large enough to accommodate large meals.

I would only feed Sentinal LS until he reaches a good weight. Then reduce the starch level further. You can feed a lower starch feed such as Purina Wellsolve L/S or Triple Crown Low Starch, according to directions.

And, don't forget the hay -- all he wants, day and night, where he never runs out. Add some alfalfa -- about 30 to 40% of the hay ration.

And finally, add some flaxseed meal to balance out the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio -- I suggestion 3 scoops of Nutra Flax per day.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Judy Hurley
We have just adopted a 20+ yr old Belgian gelding who was rescued from an unfortunate setting where he was starved. He was rehabed for several months at a foster home and is still very thin but has acheived a body score of 4. I am guessing he is 16hh and 1250 lbs. He has been on grass pasture, hay and Blue seal Charger and Sentinal LS (2 coffee can scoops twice daily). Would we get your opinion on an appropriate feeding regimen for him (grain, supplements, etc)? How quickly can we increase his intake? Thank you.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I was able to get a look at the NSCs reported by Blue Seal for their various feeds when I was trying to figure out how to feed my IR mare. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but the Sentinel LS isn't low enough to be safe for and IR horse. This was the feed my IR mare was getting when she became extremely obese.

If you get in touch with Blue Seal, they should be able to tell you what the NSC of the feed is. And a feed store that carries Blue Seal feeds should have a fact sheet that will list the NSCs of all their feeds.

Where are you from? Maine

Hello Erin,

Since both feeds contain cereal grains, the NSC is going to be too high in both feeds. The Blue Seal is mostly corn, so I expect its NSC level is around 50% or higher. The Sentinel LS is much lower, probably around 25% (in my experience with these formulations) but that, too, is too high for an IR horse.

You're looking for a feed that has less than 12% NSC, which is why I recommend TC Low Starch. Purina Wellsolve LS is also worthwhile. And I believe LMF makes one that is low enough, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Erin
I was able to get a look at the NSCs reported by Blue Seal for their various feeds when I was trying to figure out how to feed my IR mare. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but the Sentinel LS isn't low enough to be safe for and IR horse. This was the feed my IR mare was getting when she became extremely obese.

If you get in touch with Blue Seal, they should be able to tell you what the NSC of the feed is. And a feed store that carries Blue Seal feeds should have a fact sheet that will list the NSCs of all their feeds.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO