Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How Much Magnesium Oxide do I feed?

Hello Faye,

The magnesium is an important addition and you would give 10,000 mg per day (which is one scoop of the Magnesium Oxide product from Horsetech). If he will not eat it (it has an undesirable "mouth feel," from what I've been told), then go with Quiessence and feed two scoops per day to get 10,000 mg of magnesium.

If the feed store where you get your hay, has a large supply, then each purchase you make is from the same batch. So, if that is the case, it is worth analyzing it. The test is $16 and well worth it -- go with Equi-Analytical Labs -- www.equi-analytical.com" and order their first test -- the Fast Track.

Also, make sure the slow feeding net you're using is not causing him frustration. If it does, the hormonal reaction is keeping him from burning off those fat deposits.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Faye
Dear Dr. Getty:

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before. I have a 5 year old TWH gelding. I am feeding him Bermuda hay with a Busy Horse free choice feeding net - the smallest holes for the slowest feeding. He also gets HorseTech Glazen Lite and High Point V/M for grass supplements. He has a bit of a cresty neck, I can feel his ribs, but just barely. He is 14.2 hands, and the weight calculators estimate him at pushing 1000 lbs. He does not look fat, but not a pound more or he would be. I ride him 3 days a week, about 2 hours each time. So the question is, how do I keep feeding him free choice and get him to loose weight at the same time? I work, so I cannot ride more. I have not had the hay tested because I buy at the feed store only 20 bales at a time, and it is too expensive to test every load. He has 24/7 turnout, but spends most of the day under the shade eating his hay.
Thank you,
Faye

Oct 6, 2011 - 8:14AM QuoteReply Re: Free feeding - weight problem

I have orderd Magnesium Oxide from HorseTech. Will that help him? How much should I give?
Thank you,
Faye

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO