Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
alfalfa cubes to balance late cut hay

hi, i was wondering if 4-6 lbs of alfalfa cubes at meal time would be a good way to supplement poor hay and pasture. he is currently on a lite grain (2lbs TC lite) and late cut timothy with little pasture, but he is in moderate work and it is winter time. would you recommend the alfalfa cubes, or anything else? Thanks!

Where are you from? SC

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: alfalfa cubes to balance late cut hay

also, would feeding the alfalfa cubes increase his energy and weight gain? and would you recommend the alfalfa or beet pulp?

Where are you from? SC

Hello Elise,

Yes, alfalfa cubes are an excellent choice to boost the protein quality of your horse's diet. Alfalfa is a legume, and as such, it has a different amino acid profile than grasses. So when fed together, they complement each other, offering enough building blocks (amino acids) to keep your horse healthy.

Be sure to break them into small pieces and soak them for 30 minutes or so because they are very dry.

If your horse needs to gain weight, the alfalfa will help. Beet pulp can also be fed to provide extra calories but it will not boost the protein quality. So, if you have to choose one, go with the alfalfa cubes.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

elise
also, would feeding the alfalfa cubes increase his energy and weight gain? and would you recommend the alfalfa or beet pulp?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

ok thanks! my horse REALLY doesn't need to gain weight, he is a VERY easy keeper, so I probably shouldn't go with the alfalfa? So is he ok with just his heavily fortified grain and timothy hay? or should I add something more?

Where are you from? SC

Hello Elise,

When you say "grain" -- if you mean a feed that contains cereal grains such as oats, corn, barley, rice, etc. -- then this would not be appropriate for an easy keeper. You want to eliminate starchy feeds (and also sugar). So, you really don't need anything other than hay (free-choice, that is tested to make sure it is low in sugar/starch), a good vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps that exist with hay (preferably one that is flaxseed meal based such as Glanzen Lite Complete, and a small amount of a carrier feed so you can mix it with the Glanzen Lite Complete, such as alfalfa cubes or beet pulp. That's all -- oh, plus plain, white salt and temperature controlled water.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

elise
ok thanks! my horse REALLY doesn't need to gain weight, he is a VERY easy keeper, so I probably shouldn't go with the alfalfa? So is he ok with just his heavily fortified grain and timothy hay? or should I add something more?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO