Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to feed a horse recovering from starvation

I was able to get a look at the NSCs reported by Blue Seal for their various feeds when I was trying to figure out how to feed my IR mare. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but the Sentinel LS isn't low enough to be safe for and IR horse. This was the feed my IR mare was getting when she became extremely obese.

If you get in touch with Blue Seal, they should be able to tell you what the NSC of the feed is. And a feed store that carries Blue Seal feeds should have a fact sheet that will list the NSCs of all their feeds.

Where are you from? Maine

Re: How to feed a horse recovering from starvation

Hello Erin,

Since both feeds contain cereal grains, the NSC is going to be too high in both feeds. The Blue Seal is mostly corn, so I expect its NSC level is around 50% or higher. The Sentinel LS is much lower, probably around 25% (in my experience with these formulations) but that, too, is too high for an IR horse.

You're looking for a feed that has less than 12% NSC, which is why I recommend TC Low Starch. Purina Wellsolve LS is also worthwhile. And I believe LMF makes one that is low enough, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Erin
I was able to get a look at the NSCs reported by Blue Seal for their various feeds when I was trying to figure out how to feed my IR mare. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but the Sentinel LS isn't low enough to be safe for and IR horse. This was the feed my IR mare was getting when she became extremely obese.

If you get in touch with Blue Seal, they should be able to tell you what the NSC of the feed is. And a feed store that carries Blue Seal feeds should have a fact sheet that will list the NSCs of all their feeds.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO