Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Over supplementing Question?

Hi I have a 10 year old mare who is very moody, seems to have ADD has trouble focusing, Her nickname at the barn is Mrs. Kravitz because she is so interested in everything that is going on with the neighbors and everything else...she is easily distracted! She recently has not been loping under herself to the right, she is a little strung out and gets irritated if I make her do it...I have had the chiropractor out three times, this usually works immediately but this time it isn't...I had the regular vet because my trainer felt it was her hocks. The vet did not concur and said she is sound! She gets two meals of Orchard Grass and then she gets alfalfa cubes for breakfast and probably some for dinner, I give her platinum performance...she has been on this for four years. I recently put her on 1/3 of a cup of chia for her coat and also for sand clearing and everything else that is wonderful about it. I was reading your forum and ordered Magnesium and Pure C...I want her on the The C I read that is helps with immune and she gets horrible hives in the summer...Do you think if I give her the Magnesium the C and the platinum, chia and Cosequin am over-supplementing her? I would deeply appreciate any advice you could give me on this...Thank you soooo much:)
Lisa

Where are you from? Los Angeles

How did you locate this forum? I am very interested in having a healthy and happy horse did a search!

Re: Over supplementing Question?

Hello Lisa,

Is that the "Mrs. Kravitz" from Dennis the Menace? You are showing your age, my dear (and so am I!). Great analogy though!

I highly recommend giving her magnesium. In fact, I would give MMX a try at a double dose. Most horses do not get enough magnesium which not only affects behavior, but also muscle function.

You will not be overdosing with the list you mentioned, except for the chia seeds. Since Platinum Performance is flaxseed meal based, she is getting enough omega 3s and should not get still more (which chia seeds).

And a major contributor to behavior is whether or not she is in pain. I'm talking about the pain of an empty stomach. You mentioned that she gets two "meals" of hay, but she should have hay all of the time -- 24/7, day and night. If not, the acid that is constantly being produced (even on an empty stomach) will bathe her digestive tract lining, leading to ulcers (as well as immune system issues, allergies, colic, and even laminitis). Please read my book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse to get a really comprehensive overview of how this one basic feeding need can influence just about every system in your horse's body.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty [:-]
Author of Feed Your Horse Like a Horse

Lisa Licht
Hi I have a 10 year old mare who is very moody, seems to have ADD has trouble focusing, Her nickname at the barn is Mrs. Kravitz because she is so interested in everything that is going on with the neighbors and everything else...she is easily distracted! She recently has not been loping under herself to the right, she is a little strung out and gets irritated if I make her do it...I have had the chiropractor out three times, this usually works immediately but this time it isn't...I had the regular vet because my trainer felt it was her hocks. The vet did not concur and said she is sound! She gets two meals of Orchard Grass and then she gets alfalfa cubes for breakfast and probably some for dinner, I give her platinum performance...she has been on this for four years. I recently put her on 1/3 of a cup of chia for her coat and also for sand clearing and everything else that is wonderful about it. I was reading your forum and ordered Magnesium and Pure C...I want her on the The C I read that is helps with immune and she gets horrible hives in the summer...Do you think if I give her the Magnesium the C and the platinum, chia and Cosequin am over-supplementing her? I would deeply appreciate any advice you could give me on this...Thank you soooo much
Lisa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Ooops -- I meant Bewitched! not Dennis the Menace!

Dr. Juliet Getty
Hello Lisa,

Is that the "Mrs. Kravitz" from Dennis the Menace? You are showing your age, my dear (and so am I!). Great analogy though!

I highly recommend giving her magnesium. In fact, I would give MMX a try at a double dose. Most horses do not get enough magnesium which not only affects behavior, but also muscle function.

You will not be overdosing with the list you mentioned, except for the chia seeds. Since Platinum Performance is flaxseed meal based, she is getting enough omega 3s and should not get still more (which chia seeds).

And a major contributor to behavior is whether or not she is in pain. I'm talking about the pain of an empty stomach. You mentioned that she gets two "meals" of hay, but she should have hay all of the time -- 24/7, day and night. If not, the acid that is constantly being produced (even on an empty stomach) will bathe her digestive tract lining, leading to ulcers (as well as immune system issues, allergies, colic, and even laminitis). Please read my book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse to get a really comprehensive overview of how this one basic feeding need can influence just about every system in your horse's body.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty [:-]
Author of Feed Your Horse Like a Horse

Lisa Licht
Hi I have a 10 year old mare who is very moody, seems to have ADD has trouble focusing, Her nickname at the barn is Mrs. Kravitz because she is so interested in everything that is going on with the neighbors and everything else...she is easily distracted! She recently has not been loping under herself to the right, she is a little strung out and gets irritated if I make her do it...I have had the chiropractor out three times, this usually works immediately but this time it isn't...I had the regular vet because my trainer felt it was her hocks. The vet did not concur and said she is sound! She gets two meals of Orchard Grass and then she gets alfalfa cubes for breakfast and probably some for dinner, I give her platinum performance...she has been on this for four years. I recently put her on 1/3 of a cup of chia for her coat and also for sand clearing and everything else that is wonderful about it. I was reading your forum and ordered Magnesium and Pure C...I want her on the The C I read that is helps with immune and she gets horrible hives in the summer...Do you think if I give her the Magnesium the C and the platinum, chia and Cosequin am over-supplementing her? I would deeply appreciate any advice you could give me on this...Thank you soooo much
Lisa

thanks!!!

Where are you from? Los Angeles

How did you locate this forum? I am very interested in having a healthy and happy horse did a search!

Glad to help, Lisa! Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty

Lisa Licht
thanks!!!