Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Balance EQ for Fall Laminitis

My 22 y/o 2,200 lb Percheron gelding is prone to Fall Laminitis. He is on a dry lot and fed a forage based diet--all tested as low sugar/low starch. I am thinking he may be "pre-Cushing's" which is driving the laminitis. I started him on Balance EQ at 2 scoops per day. After about one week, he was walking very well with a pep in his step!! Then about a week later, he went back to walking very slowly and tenderly. I thought, since he is twice the normal weight maybe I should give him 2 scoops 2x day as that would be his loading dose?? I don't want to over supplement him.

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? Website

Re: Balance EQ for Fall Laminitis

Hello Cindy,

You're correct in your concern that pre-cushing's can lead to laminitis. The goal is to not only lower dopamine levels (which the Balance EQ will do), but to also lower circulating insulin levels. So, in addition to the low sugar/low starch hay, I have a few suggestions:

1. Yes, you can increase the Balance EQ to 3 scoops per day.
2. Add Quiessence to provide magnesium and chromium (to lower circulating insulin levels). Give him 4 scoops per day.
3. Add Psyllium to his diet. It has been shown that a small, daily dose of psyllium is very effective in keeping insulin levels lower. Give him 1/4 cup per day.

Finally, make sure that he is getting a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement that is flaxseed meal based (for omega 3s, which also reduce insulin). This will fill in the nutritional gaps that are created when fresh grass is cut, dried and stored to make hay. I recommend Glanzen Lite Complete.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty [:-]
Author of Feed Your Horse Like a Horse

Cindy Daigre
My 22 y/o 2,200 lb Percheron gelding is prone to Fall Laminitis. He is on a dry lot and fed a forage based diet--all tested as low sugar/low starch. I am thinking he may be "pre-Cushing's" which is driving the laminitis. I started him on Balance EQ at 2 scoops per day. After about one week, he was walking very well with a pep in his step!! Then about a week later, he went back to walking very slowly and tenderly. I thought, since he is twice the normal weight maybe I should give him 2 scoops 2x day as that would be his loading dose?? I don't want to over supplement him.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty! After about a week of increasing his Balance EQ, he is walking and moving better and more comfortable!
I don't have him on any Magnesium, but that is a good suggestion.
I do have him on Chia seeds instead of Flax Meal.
He is on a good probiotic and also HA for his mild hock arthritis.
Thanks so much!

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? Website

Wonderful, Cindy! Keep up the excellent work.

Happy New Year!
Dr. Getty

Cindy Daigre
Thank you Dr. Getty! After about a week of increasing his Balance EQ, he is walking and moving better and more comfortable!
I don't have him on any Magnesium, but that is a good suggestion.
I do have him on Chia seeds instead of Flax Meal.
He is on a good probiotic and also HA for his mild hock arthritis.
Thanks so much!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO