Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
7 year old mare with no back molars

I purchased a 7 year old Halflinger mare recently. She is register and very sweet, however I noticed her discomfort with the bit I used - snaffle. When I initially rode her she didn't exhibit this problems and I don't recall what bit they used. However my friend and I pryed her mouth open and found out she had NO BACK TEETH. She has front teeth upper and lower but that is it. Now I am looking at a bitless bridle with side pulls, but am at a loss as to why this horse would not have molars? Any ideas?

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? Ask Jeeves

Re: 7 year old mare with no back molars

Hello Krista,

I can't help you with the reason why she doesn't have back molars but perhaps you can investigate her history with her previous owner or veterinarian.

But I can help you with her diet. I expect it is difficult for her to adequately chew her hay and this can not only lead to weight loss, but puts her at risk for impaction colic.

So if you would like some ideas on how to provide forage (which she needs 24/7), just let me know.

Thank you for writing.

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Krista
I purchased a 7 year old Halflinger mare recently. She is register and very sweet, however I noticed her discomfort with the bit I used - snaffle. When I initially rode her she didn't exhibit this problems and I don't recall what bit they used. However my friend and I pryed her mouth open and found out she had NO BACK TEETH. She has front teeth upper and lower but that is it. Now I am looking at a bitless bridle with side pulls, but am at a loss as to why this horse would not have molars? Any ideas?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO