Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Plants

I live in florida and our horses are pastured alot of the time. I see them eating palmetto branches, oak tree leaves and grape vine. Are these plants safe for them to eat.

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Plants

Hello Pat,

I have not heard anything against palmetto branches or grave vines, but I can tell you that oak tree leaves are toxic over the long term. In other words, they will not immediately cause a problem, but over time, can cause liver damage.

Most horses will avoid oak leaves, however the acorns are especially tasty and are toxic. So, I recommend removing oak trees from your horse's reach (unless they leave them alone).

A periodic liver enzyme check is a good idea if you have plants that your horses periodically eat that concern you.

Best wishes for the new year,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Pat
I live in florida and our horses are pastured alot of the time. I see them eating palmetto branches, oak tree leaves and grape vine. Are these plants safe for them to eat.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO