Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Purina Senior Active

Hello Geri,

Commercially fortified feeds can be tricky when it comes to offering the proper supplementation and yet, that is what you are mainly paying for -- the added vitamins and minerals. So in order for a feed to be useful in this area, you need to feed it according to the recommended amounts. This, however, is often more than an owner wants to feed. If this is the case for your horses, then you will want to "supplement the supplement" by adding some extra vitamins and minerals . I recommend Glanzen Complete at a lower dosage, depending on how much of the Purina feed you are offering to your horses.

About alfalfa... yes, this is a good addition because it boosts the protein quality of your horses' diets. 10 to 30% of their hay ration as alfalfa (depending on their weight) is a good range.

For your older guy -- offer vitamin C because he no longer produces enough on his own. Vitamin C is necessary for collagen production -- a component of bones and joints. And flaxseed meal offers omega 3 fatty acids which will reduce inflammation. The Glanzen Complete is flaxseed meal based.

I have two very helpful teleseminars that you may wish to listen to -- one on aging horses and the other on joint supplements. You can read more about each one at http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/teleseminars/registration.htm. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the list of teleseminars that have been recorded and available for listening/download at any time.

Thank you for writing and happy New Year!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Geri
Happy New Year!!
My QH gelding is 26 and is slightly stiff when he moves, especially when he turns around. Other than that, he's in pretty good shape & is an easy keeper. My QH mare is 9, in good shape, an easy keeper and no lameness issues. I give them full feed grass hay & have just started feeding Purina Senior Active to both of them. Should I be giving some alfalfa hay in addition to the grass hay, and what do you suggest for supplements....does the Purina feed meet our needs?? The horses are not stalled.
Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO