Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Calming Supplements

Hi Cindy,

I'm sorry to hear about his past injuries ... he is very lucky to have found you!

Go with Actiflex Powder or Liquid to start. Give him 3 ounces per day (divided between meals, preferably) for 10 days. See how he does and you can lower his amount to a maintenance level of 2 ounces per day (higher than on the label due to his size). If he does better on the 3 ounces/day, go back to this level as a daily dose.

I have had wonderful results with this product, including for my own horse (he had an old stifle injury). So, start here and keep me posted. We can also add or change, but with joint supplements it is often trial and error 'till we get the right one.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cindy Daigre
I am also wondering, at 11 years old, with his severe osteoarthritis (as diagnosed by vets) what would be the best joint supplement to begin him on? He has had a fracture in both the fetlock and hock, that have healed I am told, and guessing the OA is a result of that? He is inconsistently lame in his right hind, and I want to keep him as comfortable as possible. Thank you

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO